Shocking Truth: The Struggle for Trost (2)

~Felix Altenberg PoV~

Felix's legs have been trembling non-stop ever since he had to move out with his team. He is in team 34 together with Thomas, Armin, Eren, Mina, Millius and Nac. Together with his team, he is standing on the rooftops, their starting point. So far nothing bad has happened, however, he knew that this is going to change any second. There is no way he will survive this in one piece.

"Hey, Armin.", Eren said to him. The two of them stand further ahead than the others to see when the marching orders come, "Don't you think this is a great chance? If we prove ourselves here in this first battle, before we even joined the Survey Corps, we'll certainly make a fast career, even though we're only recruits!"

Armin hesitates a bit before he also answers resolutely; "Yes, exactly! Without a doubt!"

"Not so hasty," Mina interfered, "This morning there were other interested poeple, too, for joining the Survey Corps."

"I know you love being in the spotlight. But this time we  won't lose," Thomas also gets involved.

"That's the spirit, Thomas," Eren replied.

"How about it, let's make a contest out of it and see who slaughters the most Titans," Thomas suggests overly motivated.

"Don't pad your numbers..," Eren said not averse to Thomas' suggestion, while Felix listened with wide eyes to the conversation of his comrades. How could they talk about a competition when everyone will die? He did not understand.

He would have loved to be back in the safe area or wished you were here, too. At least one person who takes the danger the Titans pose seriously.

Felix's inner conflict is interrupted when one of the soldiers gives the order to match. "Group 34, advance! Go and support the frontline guard!"

"Good! Let's go!" Eren said in a firm voice.

With battle cries and high lifted blades, the group 34 jumps off. Felix, of course, did not share this drive and followed them only with shaky legs. However, he tried not to fall back too far, after all, he wouldn't have a chance of survival alone.

One can hear the rush of gas, forced out of the ODM Gear and the sound of footsteps running over roof tiles.

The relative silence is interrupted by Mina when she sees how the situation stands. "So many Titans are here already?!"

"The front guard's already been destroyed?!" Thomas adds.

"I cannot believe this. What are our glory-hound seniors doing?!" Nac says.

Felix expected from the beginning that the situation would not be very exciting, but that? That was pure suicide!

"Dodge!" Eren suddenly orders, as an abnormal jumps directly towards the group.

All managed to escape on the roof, some more elegantly than others. But it didn't happen as Felix thought it would. Not everyone managed to evade.

Looking at the abnormal, the cocky recruits are snaped back to reality. This was no walk in the park, where you kill all the Titans for 10 minutes and then meet for a beer at headquarters. The reality looked very different, people die like flies and the chance of winning is so small that it is not worth expressing it in numbers. 

The Abnormal was clinging to a tower, and when it stuck its head out, one could see Thomas sticking out of the Titan's mouth. "Oh... my, uh... God... Please... help...me...", he gasps, before the Titan eats him completely and then just turns its back to the recruits and walks away slowly.

"How dare you, you dirty bastard!?" Eren screams before he chases the Titan like a madman.

"Eren, wait! Don't rush off on your own!", Millius shouts after him, which of course doesn't make Eren stay with his comrades.

Armin was the first to follow his best friend to a probably certain death. And the others carelessly and overwhelmed with the situation behind him.

"Stop, you monster! How dare you eat Thomas! There's no way I'm letting you get away!" one hears Eren screaming further down the street.

Felix stands there completely frozen in place as he watches his comrades follow Eren. Hesitantly, he jumps from the roof too, not wanting to be left behind, while a voice in his head screamed over and over again that they will all die in a cruel way.

What Felix didn't know was that his suspicion became reality only when he saw a Titan leaping into the air and catching Eren. The others were not spared either. And because Felix was behind them, he could see everything. How Millius was crushed in flight by a Titan's hand. How Mina's ODM Gear wire was pulled by a Titan, causing her to crash into a wall and have her head bitten off after. And also how Nac was swallowed by a Titan.

Unable to move, Felix falls onto a roof as he is no longer using his ODM Gear. What should he be able to do? Even if he doesn't die now, he'll die later, because he can't get back behind the wall without help. 
He felt terrible that he was too cowardly to help and also that he could only think of himself at this moment, even though his comrades and friends were dying.

He had just talked yesterday with Thomas and Mina, the people he got along best with. And now they were dead...
Felix couldn't take it anymore. He broke down crying and sobbing as he pressed his hands to his ears so he cannot hear the agonizing cries of his comrades.

A Titan approaches him with a wide grin. But Felix had already accepted the end of his life long ago. He only closed his eyes and waited for the torturous death

published: May 5, 2020
edited: August 26, 2023