24: Matchell

Malcolm sat down with his siblings at Cabin 6's table. He picked at his food, not having much of an appetite. He was in a slump. Why did life have to be so unfair? He had been praying for weeks to Aphrodite for his crush to notice him. Of course, she had done in the most embarrassing way possible.

Malcolm was practicing his archery when some kids from the Aphrodite cabin walked past. And Mitchell was with them. Mitchell... Handsome, gorgeous, Mitchell.

The little group sat down watching. They giggled and waved to kids practising their skills. Mitchell caught Malcolm's eye. Malcolm blushed. He tried to focus. He pulled the string back on his bow, watching the target.

In, out. Mitchell, in, out. Mitchell. Mitchell was watching him. He had to focus. In, out. He just had to hit the target.

"Hey, Malcolm! Looking good," one of the girls called out.

This was followed by some giggles, followed by Malcolm accidentally shooting his arrow at Mitchell.

Mitchell had gone to the infirmary and two days later, still had a bandage on his arm. Malcolm risked a glance at the Aphrodite table only to find Mitchell already watching him. He ducked his head, blushing furiously.

His sister Annabeth nudged him. "Hey, Cupid. Your arrow worked."

He glared at her. "Shut up."

Annabeth smirked. "If you don't believe me, I can get Piper to tell you."

Malcolm's eyes went wide. "Don't you dare, Chase."

She laughed. "Whatever you say. But he does like you."

Malcolm punched his sister's arm. He went back to moving his food around his plate, but he was feeling slightly happier. Was it possible? He stole a glance towards Cabin 10. Mitchell was already looking towards the Athena table. Malcolm looked away. Maybe life wasn't so unfair.