viii. | a small goodbye

☀︎︎☀︎︎☀︎︎

☀︎︎☀︎︎☀︎︎

TWO DAYS AFTER THE FUNERAL AND THE BATTLE, Master Yoda declared Obi-Wan was to become a Jedi Knight and Anakin was to start his training as an apprentice under Obi-Wan, while Yoda decided he would be the one to train Elara to use the Force and such.

A week after the funeral and the battle of Naboo, Obi-Wan confided in Elara at a bar. He mentioned to her that he would start believing more in Anakin, her brother, because Jedi Master Qui-Gon's dying wish was to give him a chance — the boy was to bring balance to the Force and destroy the Sith.

Elara knew Qui-Gon was utterly correct about Anakin, and she also knew Obi-Wan was capable of giving her baby brother a chance.

Then a month after, Elara and Obi-Wan got significantly closer by going to the bar every night after her lessons with Yoda and after he taught Anakin a lesson for the day. Elara would call themselves close friends, nothing less and nothing more.

An hour ago, Anakin informed her Obi-Wan and himself were already leaving for a Jedi mission, which saddened her because Yoda once informed her that missions could last days, weeks, years, or it could even result in a tragic death.

Now, Elara found herself standing in front of Obi-Wan's chamber room. She lifted her fist and rapped her knuckles on them, nervously swallowing down a lump in her throat.

"Who is it?" Obi-Wan hollered.

"Elara."

The door quickly opened. Obi-Wan ushered her inside, a beaming smile plastered onto his face. The door shut behind her and she looked around the room once.

"What brings you here?" Obi-Wan curiously questioned, fiddling with his hands nervously.

Elara wetted her lips and turned her head towards him. He sat down on his bed, placing his hands on his lap. "I just wanted to say goodbye." the brunette informed him.

The Jedi Knight furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and decided to play dumb. "What for? Is Master Yoda already taking you away on a mission?" he inquired.

Elara arched an eyebrow and she sat down on the bed. "No, Anakin said goodbye to me, and said he was leaving on a mission with you soon so I decided to say goodbye to you before you left for that mission." she breathed in deeply.

Obi-Wan opened his mouth to reply to her, but he shut it just as quickly as he had opened it. Elara raised her eyebrows, suddenly amused he didn't want to tell her. But then he ended up speaking, "I told him not to tell you."

"Oh," she gasped in surprise. Their gazes lingered on each other for a monent too long then they quickly looked away. "Well, I hope you and my brother have a safe travel to the mission's destination," she paused and blinked once. "You should've told me."

Obi-Wan sighed. "I didn't want you to freak out because we are going on a mission already." he shrugged.

"I don't like it but I have to deal with it because wherever a Master goes, their Padawan has to follow," Elara looked away from Obi-Wan and released a sigh. "I wish it didn't have to come so soon."

She straightened out her shirt, narrowing her eyes at the lightsaber resting on the chair in the corner. Obi-Wan stared at her, wondering what she was thinking about.

What neither of them knew was that deep down, they both wished he didn't have to leave. They loved seeing each other every night at the bar to hangout and talk about whatever they desired — it was mostly about Chancellor Palpatine, the end of a war, Padmé, or Anakin.

It was the small moments that counted for the pair.

Abruptly, Obi-Wan found himself trapping the Skywalker girl in an embrace, which snapped her back into reality. She closed her eyes and hugged him back, laying her head on his shoulder. The hug was nice and it would make up for their time apart while he was on this mission.

She hoped it wasn't a dangerous one.

"I will miss you Elara." he whispered in her ear, moving his hand to the small of her back.

Elara smiled at him and reluctantly pulled away, warmth filling her stomach and her stomach fluttering with butterflies. "I will miss you too but I know we will see each other soon. Right?"

"Right."

Elara chuckled. "Take care Obi-Wan Kenobi."

With that, she left the room, and left him to himself.