31 - A Glimpse From The Past

Sorry for any error, mistakes and inconveniences 🌹.

Chapter 31: A Glimpse From The Past

"Would you like anything to eat or drink?" She nervously asked as her eyes moved down towards the two while they tiredly sat down on the sofa.

Janki glanced around and Ragini shook her head positively, "yes. . . Something to drink please."

Swara nodded her head and headed towards the kitchen. Sensing a familiarity with the house, Janki was lost in thoughts wondering how she seemed to know this house and why.
'Could it be one of the parties I attended to, or one of the business partner's house that I casually went to? But, I don't seem to recognise her. . .'

"Mom, try calling now." Ragini interrupted her thoughts and stared at Janki, who nodded her head and unlocked her phone.

Swara walked out with two glass's of orange juice and placed it in front of them. "Please make yourself comfortable." She nervously uttered and Ragini smiled at her, leaning forward to pick the glass up.

"Swara, I'm hungry. Where's the food?" Sameer complained as he walked out, startled to see two unfamiliar faces sitting in his living room.

"It's in the kitchen, warm it up." She replied to him and signalled him to leave, he made a face as he stared at Janki and Ragini weirdly, starting to walk towards the kitchen.

"What did you bring?"

"Maggie and snacks."

His face fell, "Maggie?"

"That's all they had."

He rolled his eyes and walked past her, into the kitchen.

"Hello, Driver. . . Can you pick us up and send the mechanic to fix our car? I'll send you the locations." She disconnected the call and brought her phone in front of her face, sending her current location.

"Swara. . ." Janki trailed off and glanced at Swara, "do you know the name of the place where our car broke down?"

She nodded her head positively and replied to Janki's question. After Ragini finished her glass of juice, she placed it down and stared at Swara.

"So, Swara. Do you stay here with that guy?" Ragini wondered and Swara nodded her head, "he's my step brother."

"Oh, what about your parents?"

"My mother passed away when I was young and I don't have a father." She answered and Ragini and Janki blinked at her, feeling slightly bad for her.

"Do you and your brother only survive on instant foods?" Janki asked and Swara nodded, "we have no other choice, he can't cook and neither can I. Before Nayonika Aunty used to cook for us and now she's gone so we have no one."

Janki creased her forehead, "Nayonika?"

Swara released a small sigh as she spoke, "my brothers mother and step father's second wife."

"Wait. . ." Ragini tried to understand the relationship between her family, "you're adopted?"

More like stolen, yet she wanted to let their family privacy remain and simply answered back with a nod.

'Nayonika. . . Why does this name sound so familiar?' Janki wondered to herself and then stared at Swara, "What is your step father's name?"

Swara felt uncomfortable with that question but still decided to answer. "She. . . Shekhar."