Chapter 47

SCOTT POV

I went to the hospital to check on my mother. Those hunters not only got Stella but they also got my mom and dad.

I walked into my mother's hospital room. "You have about a minute before the sedative kicks in," the nurse told me. I thanked her and walked over to my mom's bed. That one bullet could have killed her; she looked up at me weakly, forcing a smile on her face.

"Hey, kid. How's Stella?" She asked faintly.

I couldn't bring myself to tell her what happened, not wanting to put more stress on her. "She's fine. I'm gonna wait outside, okay?" I held back the anger and frustration that I had built up in me.

"No, wait. Scott, wait." She softly touched my hand. "Listen to me—you didn't do this," she tells me.

"But I'm responsible. You need to sleep," I changed my attention back to her.

"Don't run... You fight," she says, her eyes slowly closing. I walked out of the room and closed the door quietly behind me.

The sheriff came up to me timidly. "Where's my dad?" I asked him.

"Transferred to San Francisco Memorial. He's gonna be fine," he reassured me. He already heard about the news that Stella was gone. "Scott, I know you're angry and upset, but I also know that we aren't going to let Stella's killer just walk around. The whole Sheriff's department is gonna be on this. I am gonna find out who did this," he told me.

"We both know who did this," I sighed and walked past him.

"Hey Scott! Have you told my son?" He questioned.

"Stella said to wait until we finish this," I said then walked away.

I'm done. No more peace summits. No more running. No more half-measures. It's time to fight back, but we are definitely going to need a bigger army.

——-
LIAM POV

Upon hearing what happened, anger surged within me, and I knew exactly who to approach regarding the shooting last night. I entered the boys' locker room and found Gabe at his locker. I closed the locker on his hand, and he yelled in pain. With a twist, I forced his arm behind his back.

"What the hell happened last night?" I hissed at him.

FLASHBACK

Theo and I headed to Scott's house to update them on our mission. Upon entering, broken glass littered the space, and blood stains marked the floor and table – a familiar scent lingering in the air.

"Scott!" I rushed around, not needing to go far; they were all gathered in the living room, the atmosphere heavy. Red, puffy eyes and vacant expressions revealed the weight of the news.

"Where's Stella?" Theo inquired, scanning the room. That single question caused Lydia to break down in tears, and Malia enveloped her in a comforting hug.

The sobs and ensuing silence provided the painful answers. I couldn't grasp my emotions. Anger threatened to explode within me, and I clenched my fist, attempting to rein in the turmoil. All I could think about was who could be so foolish, so reckless, to take the life of one of our own. The reality of Stella's absence hit me like a ton of bricks. I half-expected her to walk into the room and make a sarcastic comment. As hours passed, the realization sank in deeper – Stella was gone, and she sacrificed herself to shield us, just as she feared.

PRESENT

I smashed Gabe's head against the mirror, and he winced, begging me to stop, which only fueled my anger, causing the mirror to crack.