Chapter 20

After the hospital, Stiles texted me that he, Theo, and him found a body and were heading over to Deaton's. I drove there, meeting up with Scott. Pulling up in the back, I saw Scott's motorcycle parked, and I opened the back door to find the three boys and a covered body.

"Who is he?" I asked, observing the blood around his throat, unusual teeth, and pale skin. I hadn't seen him around the school.

"His name's Josh. He was a junior," Scott answered, not taking his eyes off the body.

"Which one did it?" Scott questioned the two boys. "The one with the cane?" He added, referring to the leader of the pack, who usually did the talking.

"Uh-" Stiles looked at Theo, who had a straight face. "Yeah," Stiles hesitated, but I didn't dwell on it. Stiles had been acting off lately, pushing me away despite my concern.

"What are we going to do with him? We can't just set the alarm and leave. That's how Tracy disappeared," I suggested, glancing at Scott.

"All right, someone's got to stay here with him," Scott said, but no one volunteered to watch a dead body.

"I'll do it," Theo raised his hand. "It's not like I had a big Saturday night planned."

Scott checked his phone and read something, and I could tell from his expression that it wasn't good news.

"What is it?" I sighed, asking him.

"Another one. Another Chimera," Scott said, confirming that our night wasn't going to be ordinary.

"Well, I guess that's our cue," I said as we started heading to our cars, except for Theo.

I pulled out of my parking space and headed to Scott's, with Stiles and Scott not far behind. Once we arrived, I parked, and we entered. Scott unlocked the door, and we headed upstairs.

In Scott's room, we found Liam moving frantically. "Liam!" I called his name, and he jumped a little, visibly relieved.

"Thank the lords!" Liam exhaled and pointed at the bathroom.

"Hayden?" Scott knocked on the door. "It's Scott. I know that you're scared, but we just... We want to help." He tried to reassure her, but the door remained shut.

"I can hear her heart beating. She's really freaked out," I muttered to Stiles.

"What happened?" Stiles asked Liam. We stepped away from the door, huddling to get the full story.

"She was okay when we got here. I went to text you for two seconds, and she locked herself in," Liam explained.

"Why?" Scott asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"I don't know. She's definitely a Chimera. She said she heard a voice saying, 'Your condition improves,'" Liam shared.

"Okay, that's unsettling," I remarked. If Hayden was one of the Dread Doctors' 'creations' and they said that, I assumed it was good for her.

"Hayden," Stiles walked back to the door, knocking. "This is Stiles. Your sister works for my dad down at the station. Look, just open the door, okay? You can trust us. We just need to tell you the truth, Hayden. And that kind of thing usually is better face-to-face," Stiles tried to communicate with her, but her heart continued to race.

"Listen, I know what this feels like, getting all of this news all at once. But if you open this door, we can help you and probably explain it way better than Liam did. You just have to believe us right now," I said softly. Listening to her heartbeat again, I noticed it was much slower. The door creaked open a little, and I gently pushed it to see her standing there with claws out and yellow eyes.