Chapter 18

I walked into school this time without Stiles. He called me this morning, saying he wasn't feeling too good, so he chose to stay at home.

 He called me this morning, saying he wasn't feeling too good, so he chose to stay at home

"Stella!" I turn around and see Malia rushing over to me with a big grin on her face.

"Hey," I give her a smile, waiting for her so she could catch up with me.

"Check this out." She hands me a book, and I look at the cover, immediately thinking of the three masked people.

"The Dread Doctors by T.R. McCammon." I read the title. So that's their name, well, it's better than 'masked people.'

"What?" Malia asks me, giving me a curious look.

"I don't know. There's something about it. Has anyone actually read it yet?" I ask, flipping to the back of the book.

"Just me. And I didn't understand any of it," she says, shrugging.

"We should probably all read it," I suggest. I have been trying to help Malia get back to being 'human.' Lydia stopped trying because she could never understand her notes; they were too complex, apparently. Mine are like the easier version of Lyds.

"Kira's working on that," Malia informs me. We head over to her locker so she can exchange books. We have math together with Lydia; usually, we meet up at Malia's locker, but she went to do her usual training with Parrish.

"Stiles can't find anything on the author. He thinks it's a pen name," she tells me. I start skimming over the back of the book, reading what it's about.

"In a small New England town, teenagers are taken in the night and buried alive. Days later, they emerge transformed, wreaking havoc and spreading terror, commanded by an ancient order of parascientists known only as the Dread Doctors." Sounds vaguely familiar. "How does it end?" I ask her, since she technically is the only one who read it, even though she didn't understand it.

"It doesn't. This is supposed to be volume one," Malia says, closing her locker and relocking it.

"Oh, let me guess... There is no volume two?" I sigh. I can already tell this is going to end badly.

"I think we're living volume two," Malia says.

"Then maybe the real question is... Is this a novel or someone's prediction?" I say. We start heading over to our class. Once we get there, we immediately tell Lydia what is going on, hoping she can find something we didn't. Class goes on, and Lydia starts skimming through the book. All of a sudden, I hear her heartbeat really fast. I look over at Malia, who was already looking at me. Then we turn around to Lydia, who has a freaked-out look on her face.

"Hey, I'm going to need you to calm down," Malia whisper-yells to her.

"Well, I'm sorry, but look at what it says. Look at this. Look at the 'Acknowledgements' page." She tells me. I grab the book from her hand and read it.