Chapter 32

Theo and Scott led the way, while Liam and I followed closely behind. Liam took charge of tracking Mason's scent, as he was most familiar with it. Meanwhile, Scott and Theo engaged in their own conversation. Concerned about Liam, I turned to check on him, only to realize he was no longer beside me. Quickly turning around, I discovered he had come to a halt in his tracks.

"Guys!" I shouted to get Scott and Theo's attention, waving them over.

"We're close," Liam announced, bending down to examine our surroundings.

"You got his scent?" I inquired, and although hesitant, Liam nodded in confirmation.

"Which way?" Theo asked, displaying sudden interest.

However, Liam hesitated to share the information, glaring at Theo and then turning to Scott. It was evident he didn't fully trust Theo. Noticing Liam's reluctance, Theo scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"You think you're going to leave me behind?" Theo expressed his frustration.

Scott attempted to reason with Liam, saying, "Liam..."

"Look, he wants to kill him—" Liam began to yell.

But Theo interjected, "I just want his power! You want to fight someone that actually wants to kill Mason? Fight Stella or maybe even Parrish."

Liam maintained his glare at Theo, refusing to take his eyes off him.

"Who did you see when you put on the mask?" Liam questioned, ignoring Theo's earlier comment.

"I already told you, it wasn't Mason," Theo replied, growing impatient.

"Who. was. It?" Liam demanded sternly.

Theo sighed and spoke up, "I saw a man dying in the snow. He was impaled on a spear."

"It's called a pike," I chimed in, recalling the story Lydia and I had read the previous night when Chris had kept us hostage.

"Then you guys know what it means. Time's running out," Theo said, turning to Liam, who continued to glare at him. "Where is he, Liam? What direction?" Theo pressed once again.

After a moment of hesitation, Liam sighed and looked at me. I nodded slowly. "This way." We resumed walking through the woods, and I hurried to catch up with Scott.

"Hey, I've been thinking... maybe Theo is right," I said to Scott, who looked at me with confusion. "I mean, if we find Mason, what if I change? I could get you or Liam hurt, and I—"

Scott interrupted me, stopping in his tracks. "Stella, don't you think we thought of that already... We trust you. Liam trusts you to overcome this other half of you," he reassured me. With a quick smile, Scott joined Liam and Theo ahead.

Mason's scent led us to a small cabin in the middle of the woods. While Liam was eager to go inside, Scott stopped him by grabbing his wrist.

"Listen," Scott urged. We focused on the building and heard the sound of a rapidly beating heart.

"It's him," Liam reassured us.

We rushed inside the cabin, with Liam leading the way. When we reached the bottom, Mason was there, sitting on the floor with his head down, leaning against a large green tank containing an unknown body. As we approached, something felt off. Mason's breathing was quick and shallow, and my eyes traveled from the plug in his neck to the tank, realizing what was happening.

"It's connected to him," I said, eyes widening.

Scott and Liam struggled with the nearly half-conscious Mason, attempting to disconnect him from the plug in his cervical spine, while Theo and I stood behind, observing the unsettling scene.