Chapter 22

It's been five days. We haven't seen any new Chimeras, and we haven't seen the Dread Doctors. We all go to school, pretending like nothing's happened. But everyone seems to know. You just walk down the halls and no one's smiling. No one's laughing. You get the feeling that everyone can sense that something's coming. They just don't know what is, or how bad it's going to be.

But I don't know what to do. I don't think anyone does, not even Scott. I know he is slowly breaking inside, feeling like this is his fault. Maybe that's why no one's really talking to each other. Sometimes we don't even notice each other. But I think some of us are okay with that. Because not talking makes it easier to keep secrets. And I don't know if anyone's really lying about things.

So Lydia and Stiles are trying to find the bodies, which means finding the Nemeton. They're driving around, searching all of the woods. But the last time that they found this thing, All 3 of them almost drowned in ice cold water.

I was in Bio with Malia; Mrs. Martin taught the class. I always wonder if she knew what we were or, more so, what we did.

"One of the more common biological weapons, anthrax, was used by Germany in World War I, and in human experimentation by the Japanese during World War II..." She was giving us a lecture while we just took notes, but I kept getting distracted by this clicking noise. I tried to tune it out, but it kept going. I looked around the classroom, then looked in front; this girl named Beth was biting her nails. I rolled my eyes in annoyance, then looked at her computer. I took a closer look and saw she was looking up full moons. I poked Malia and pointed towards her laptop.

"Beth... Please close your computer. I won't ask again," Mrs. Martin told her, and she did so. Then I heard a crack noise; I look back at Beth and saw she completely broke her nail off, and it was black and silver blood.

"Silver," I muttered under my breath. I remembered Liam told me Silver was a 'failure'. Beth got up and ran out of the room with her stuff in her hands.

"Beth. Beth!" Mrs. Martin yells her name; Malia and I quickly get up to follow her. "Stella and Malia, if you need to use the restroom, it's one at a time." She walks closer to us. "And if you're planning on leaving class, I'd consider your recent drop in grades." She looks over at Malia.

"She needs help," Malia tries to push past her.

"Not from you," Mrs. Martin mutters.

"You know what's going on. Don't you?" I asked her.

"I know that I'd like to see you get through senior year with passing grades." She gives me a small smile.

"You know more than that," Malia gets closer to her face and glows her blue eyes at her.

"I think you need to focus more on your schoolwork. All of you," she says, looking over at me.

"Let me go; I have an 87 in this class... This is life or death," I asked Mrs. Martin; she sighed and moved away from the door, and I slipped past her and headed in the direction Beth went.

"Malia, you stay," She holds her back.

"Beth? Are you okay?" I yelled her name; she stopped looking through her locker.

"Why are you talking to me? You don't know me. You don't know anything about my condition," She said, not taking her eyes off her locker. I slowly started walking towards her, trying not to frighten her.

"What? What do you mean?" I asked.

"My condition. My condition. My condition," She kept repeating over and over; she closed her locker and started walking away. I tried to grab her before she could leave.