Chapter 9

That evening, we made plans to visit Derek the following morning to unravel the mystery surrounding Parrish.

"He covered you in gasoline?" Derek asked, examining his hands in disbelief.

"It's the hair and nails, right? The parts of the body that are essentially dead," Lydia theorized, though Parrish seemed intact.

"Well, they should have been destroyed," Derek remarked.

"Everything about him should have vanished. I saw him step out of a burning car and run five blocks... completely naked!" I emphasized the naked part, unable to shake that vivid image from my mind, not that it was a bad one, but still.

"Not unless you're like us," Scott suggested, hinting at Parrish being a werewolf.

"Like us?" Parrish raised an eyebrow at Scott skeptically.

"I don't think he's like us," Derek shook his head, still trying to ascertain Parrish's true nature.

"Then what is he?" I inquired.

"Sorry, but I have no idea," Derek shrugged.

"But you knew about Jackson and Kira," Scott pointed out.

"This is a bit beyond my expertise. There might be something in the bestiary. Have you tried contacting Argent?" Derek glanced at me.

"I don't know where he is," I admitted. I hadn't seen him since last night; every time I woke up, Chris had already left the house. Sometimes, I slept in late.

"Okay, hold on. What's a bestiary? Actually, that's not even my first question. Just... Just tell me one thing. Are all of you like Lydia? Are you all psychic?" Parrish asked, prompting laughter from Scott and me, while Derek wore an amused smile.

"Psychic?" Derek chuckled.

"Yeah, not exactly," Scott clarified, glancing at Lydia, who appeared perplexed.

"Parrish, you're quite the comedian," I chuckled, patting him on the back as we laughed at his bewildered expression.

"Okay, then what are you?" Parrish asked, his eyes fixed on Scott, waiting for him to reveal his eyes. When Scott finally did, Parrish stepped back, visibly surprised. "So, you two can do that," he said, glancing at me and Derek.

"Yeah, but we have blue eyes," I muttered under my breath.

"What's the difference?" Parrish inquired, but I hesitated to explain.

"It doesn't matter," Derek interjected.

"I have to go check on Stiles. I'll see you guys later," I hastily excused myself from the room. Rushing to my car, I headed to the hospital where Stiles had been all night since his father got shot the day before. Once there, I checked my phone to find out which room they were in. Entering the room, I saw the sheriff lying in bed, asleep. I then noticed Stiles sitting in a chair, biting his nails, with puffy eyes.