Chapter 38

I haven't slept well in 3 days. I keep having the same dream over and over. I wake up in cold sweats each time. It always ends up with Allison dying no matter how hard I try to protect her; she always ends up getting hurt. As promised, I stopped helping Lydia with the 'Stiles' investigation, which has actually been making me more productive. I guess running around in the forest takes up a lot of your time.

I was sitting in class with Scott and Lydia; the teacher was going on and on about the brain. Honestly, I don't even know how I got into the AP class, but I guess I'm smart enough for it.

"Right, Lydia?" Mrs. Finch says, waving her hands in Lydia's face, trying to get her attention back to the lesson.

"...I completely agree," Lydia smiles, acting like she knew what was going on.

"Is there something outside that's more fascinating than the structure of the human mind?" Mrs. Finch asked her, looking out the window.

"No... I don't think so... No," Lydia stutters on her words while doing a double take while looking outside.

Mrs. Finch sighs and goes back to her lecture. "Okay, good. Now, many people credit the corpus callosum, uh, for giving us a sense of intuition, gut instinct, that even we ourselves aren't aware--"

Lydia abruptly gets out of her seat and starts heading for the door. "I'm sorry, I'll be right back."

"I'm just gonna check if she's okay..." Scott follows right behind her.

"Stella, would you like to go too? Seems like it's common for you guys to go in groups," Mrs. Finch asked sarcastically. I shook my head no and got back to writing in my notebook.

"Stay focused, Stella," I mutter to myself.

I stayed through the class even though my phone went off about 20 times or more, texts and calls just from Lydia and Scott. Once the bell rang, I packed up my things and got met with an angry Lydia waiting right by my locker.

"Yes, Lydia." I give her a cheeky smile, trying to take pressure off of me.

"No, why didn't you answer my calls and texts?" She asked.

"Look, I just have been busy trying to keep up with school and all, getting ready to graduate, you know," I told her, opening my locker and switching out books for my next class.

"You're lying," she says.

"Lydia, I'm sorr-" before I could even make up a good explanation, she cut me off.

"Out of all people, I thought you would be the main one to stick by me. I already lost Allison in a way; I just didn't think I would lose you too." She sighs and walked away.

I felt this overwhelmed feeling of guilt rush over me; she was right, though. Allison and her have drifted away. Ally just has been really focused on school since she came back from France.

____

School went by very fast. I went home and took a shower and pretty much watched a bunch of TV shows. It felt nice to actually relax, but at the same time, all I could think of was how I hurt Lydia, not only her but the whole pack.

"Hey, you okay?" Allison asks me, taking a seat next to me on the couch, snuggling up with a blanket.

"I don't know; it just doesn't feel right not helping them out," I told her while picking up a puffball and placing it in my mouth.

"I get it, but you need a break; you deserve one, especially since you might become a writing major." She winked at me with a smile.

"Shut up." I rolled my eyes and threw one of the pillows at her, laughing.

The rest of the night we picked a movie; Allison fell asleep halfway through it. I checked the time; it was 12:39 pm. I slowly got up off the couch and slipped on my shoes, grabbing my keys and slipping out to go back to the school, checking up on a Jeep like Lydia was talking about in the texts. I just wanted to see for myself.

I started up my car and pulled out of my parking lot since there was no one out; it was fast to get to the school. Once it hits 12 pm, it's like a ghost town in Beacon Hills. I pulled up to the school, already seeing Lydia and Scott. I pulled into the parking lot and got out of the car; Scott looked frazzled up.

"What's going on?" I asked them. I could see it in Lydia's eyes that she was happy to see me but decided not to say anything.

"We will tell you later, but look." Scott holds out some keys with a smile.

He unlocks the door; Lydia and Scott get into the front while I sit in the back. Lydia puts the keys in the ignition and turns it; the light turns on, then the engine starts up.

"Now what?" I said looking around.

A static sound starts coming from the radio that was in the front of the car. Scott goes to turn it down.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait..." Lydia stops him, and a voice comes over the radio that sounds familiar.

"Hello? Is anyone there? Can anyone hear me?" It was a boy's voice.

Lydia slowly reaches for the radio and speaks into it. "Stiles?"

"Stiles? Are you there?" Scott speaks up.

"Scott? Lydia? Is that you?" He answers... it was Stiles, Stiles was real.

"Oh, my God, Stiles! We can hear you!" Lydia's eyes lit up, and so did Scott's.

"Oh, my God. You know me? You remember me?" Stiles asks.

"Stiles, is thi-is this you? Is this actually you?" Lydia questioned.

"Yeah. Is Stella there?" He asked for me. Lydia and Scott turned and looked at me. Lydia handed me the radio. I was hesitant but then talked.

"Stiles." I said his name shakily.

"Stella! Oh my god, it's so good to hear your voice." I could feel his happiness and his love from his voice. "Listen to me...Do you remember the last thing I said to you?" He asked me.

I sat there trying to remember what he told if I could even remember without even thinking I rushed out. "You said, 'Remember I love you.'" My eyes welled up with tears but nothing fell out. I gave Lydia back the radio.

"Are you okay?" Scott asked him.

But everything passed that went muffled for me; my brain was on overload with this heavy feeling of guilt and pain came over me. I heard the radio buzzing, and it pulled me out of my thoughts.

"He's gone." Lydia frowned.

I opened the car door. I felt my heart pounding fastly; my vision started to get blurry; it kept going in and out.

"Stella." I heard Lydia's heels clicking behind me.

I fell to my knees trying to catch my breath, but it was just getting worse; the world just started spinning around and then went completely black.

A/N

I know it's short and I'm sorry I'm already working on the next chapter :) have a good day/ night and thank you for all the support ❤️