Chapter 46

We had our plan set, but we decided to stay on the downlow for a few days to make sure they completely believe that we left. We were all in different safe houses that Chris had. I was with Lydia, Liam, and Theo... a weird bunch, I know, but we wanted Scott and Malia to have their own area. Plus, I think if Malia was in the same area as Theo, she would try to kill him while he sleeps.

It was 1 am, and I was still up. I slowly turned to see if Lydia was awake; her hair was in a messy bun, and she looked so tiny and soft. I timidly got out of bed, trying not to wake her, considering we were sleeping in the same bed. I tiptoed out of the room and went to the kitchen, getting a glass of water. I heard cracking coming from behind me.

"You can't sleep either," Theo whispered, trying not to wake the others. I shook my head no, then closing the refrigerator, I turned to him.

He looked scruffy as always. I moved past him and sat on the couch, grabbing a magazine and flipping through them. Theo followed my actions and sat next to me. I held my tongue, trying to be cordial with him.

"You know, I'm surprised you don't hate me as much as I thought you would," he said, flipping through the pages.

"Oh, I still hate you." I smiled at him sarcastically. He turned back to his magazine. "Why are you even here... do you really want to be in this pack that bad? Sorry to tell you, but there is no way in hell you're being a part of this pack, Theo," I simply said to him.

"It's not about that anymore... I just don't want to be that guy anymore," he told me. And for some reason, this is different; it didn't feel like a lie or a trick. It felt... genuine.

"Well, there's a difference between trying to be someone you're not and being someone you want to be. Which are you?" I asked him, moving the magazine from my face. He scrunched his eyebrows, looking past me. I turned around and saw a figure standing outside the window. I slowly got up and turned off the lights to make it dark in the room. I moved closer to the window to get a better look.

"Lydia?" Theo coaxed. I looked closer; he was right. The strawberry-headed girl was just standing outside, still in the things she slept in.

I ran out of the room and went outside. I softly turned her around. She was wide awake, and she was just staring at me blankly.

"Lydia? Are you okay?" I asked her, wrapping my arms around her. It was freezing outside, and lord knows how long she's been out here. I guided her back into the house.

"Is she okay?" Theo asks, handing me a blanket. I thanked him and placed it around Lydia. I brought her into the room and laid her down on the bed.

"Thanks, I got it from here," I told him, and he nodded his head and left the room, closing the door behind him.

I laid her down on the bed with her back towards me. "Lydia," I said softly. She didn't respond, so I started combing through her hair with my fingers, trying to get her to talk to me at least.

"Stella..." She flipped her body over to look at me in the eyes. "Promise me you won't go with us tomorrow," she said to me with no emotion.

"Lyd, wha-"

"Promise me," she said sternly this time.

"What did you see?" I asked her, wondering if her being outside had something to do with me.