Chapter 40

Today was the day we actually graduated from Beacon Hills, and I am so excited to get the hell out of here. This summer is going to be great. I get to spend half of it with my favorite person, and then I get to spend the other half in France and see my old friends there.

I put on my graduation cap and took one last look at myself as a high schooler. My heart was beating fast, and my nerves started to kick in. I opened my door and saw Chris sitting on the couch. He looked up at me, and a smile grew on his face. He got up and started walking over to me with open arms.

"You look amazing, Stella," he said, pulling me into a hug.

"Thanks for not giving up on me, Uncle Chris," I said sincerely. My mother gave up on me a long time ago, and so did the rest of my family, but Chris never treated me differently.

We pulled away from the hug, and silence fell over us. He just stared at me, then his eyes started to get red.

"What?" I asked him, scrunching my eyebrows, looking at him worriedly.

"Allison would be so proud of you," he said, choking on his words a little. She would have been standing right next to me with a teeth grin on her face.

"Don't go soft on me now," I said sarcastically, trying to lighten the mood. He made a soft laugh, and I gave him a hug and checked the time.

"Oh hell! I'm late," I rolled my eyes and frantically started grabbing my things, then rushed out of the house. I had to pick up Stiles from his house since he gave Scott his car now.

I parked my car in front of his house and texted him I was here. He immediately came running out, screaming and hollering with joy.

"Let's Go!" He yelled with his whole chest. He got in the car and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Well, someone is excited," I said, giggling at his enjoyment.

"Yes, ma'am!" He said while hitting my dashboard repeatedly like it was a drum set.

I gave Stiles control of the music. The whole way, we were just singing a bunch of songs out loud like we were at a concert. Once I got to school, I pulled into my usual parking space. Scott, Malia, and Lydia were already waiting around for us. Stiles and I got out of the car and joined the group.

"This is it," Scott sighed, looking around at the school one last time.

"Hey, are you still doing that internship for Coach?" I asked him. He laughed and nodded his head.

"Yeah, that's going to be fun," he said, chuckling to himself.

"We should probably head to the field," Lydia said, looking down at her phone for the time.

"Okay, Ms. Valedictorian," I smiled at her, shoving her a little, but lovingly, of course.

Once we got to the field, we all split up. Lydia went to the stage, while Scott, Stiles, Malia, and I took our seats.

I looked to the left, and there was a huge crowd sitting on the bleachers. It was hard to spot anyone I knew. I hoped a little that I would see Derek out there, but after squinting my eyes and telling one of my classmates to move their noggin, I found all the parents in one row. They were on the fifth row. I scanned to see if Derek was there, but no luck. I looked back on the stage to my right, where the principals, guidance counselors, and all the other school faculty were. They didn't look like they wanted to be here. Most of them had grumpy faces, especially my science teacher, Mr. Longlay.

Of course, I was with the first group that went up since my last name is Argent. Class of 2017, we are the future. I smiled at the thought. The ceremony music started, the principal came up to the mic thanking everyone who came. I personally zoned out the rest of the time until I had to go up to get my diploma.