Chapter 37

Scott, Mason, Liam, Corey, and I all met back up in the morning to figure out how they got in, especially since they didn't come from the doors or windows.

"That's how he got in?" Scott asked, looking up at the ceiling; there was a crack in the pavement and black ash all around it.

"What is it?" Liam asked, scrunching his eyebrows.

"It's a point of impact from a lightning strike. Usually, you'd find charred spots like that on the ground after a violent thunderstorm," Mason explained.

"That's how the Ghost Rider got in. He rode lightning," I said, and then it hit me—even if we tried to protect them, we can't. "If they can use lightning to get past the mountain ash... No place is safe." We put innocent kids in danger—well, some of them aren't so innocent, but they still don't deserve to disappear.

"What about the others? It's my fault they're marked," Corey said, which he was correct, but he didn't know.

"We'll find a way to protect them. All of them," Scott said, trying to be inspirational, but I could see it in his eyes that he didn't know what the hell to do, and he was worried about the outcome.

Lydia texted me to meet in the hallway by her locker; Allison decided to tag along just because she wanted to make sure I was safe. She has been following me around like a dog all day. Lydia stood there and pulled out a student ID that wasn't even hers.

"Okay..." I drifted off, not getting where she was going with this.

"It's a relic," she explained.

"What's a relic?" I asked.

"An object with a fixed association to the past. Jake's ID was left behind after he was taken. And Gwen found her sister's bracelet on her bedroom floor," Lydia explained more in-depth.

"How can someone be erased and still leave something behind?" Allison asked, more interested in the conversation.

"A conservation of mass. The total mass of any isolated system remains constant," she said. I sat there still a little confused, and I guess it showed on my face. "Basically, even the Ghost Riders have a weakness. A relic would be proof that Stiles existed. And maybe we can bring him back." She simplified it for me.

"Lyd, I'm sorry. I wish I could help you with that, but I have a few other things to handle right now. I need to fix what I messed up," I sighed, looking around at the students, knowing none of them are safe anymore.

"Hey, Ally!" I turned to see JJ, one of Allison's friends, waving her over.

"I'll be back." She gave us a quick smile and walked over to them.

I turned and looked over at Lydia. Her face was sour. "Hey, when this is all over, I'll be right there too to help you." I stuck out my pinky finger. "I promise," I said with a grin. She gave me a small smile and hooked her pinky finger with mine. I gave her a quick hug and went to my class.

——-

My last class was over, and I was packing up my belongings, getting ready to go. Scott texted me, telling me we all need to meet in the bunker after school.

"Wait, Stella!" I stopped in my tracks two steps from the door, almost leaving. I cursed under my breath and turned back around.

"Yes, Mr. Williams." I gave him a forced smile; he motioned me to take a seat. "I really ha-"

"Sit down," he demanded. I huffed and took a seat in front of him, placing my backpack on the floor. He placed my essay on my desk. "This is amazing!"

"Good to see my sad life impresses you. Are we done here?" I snapped.