Chapter 33

I sit by the fire with mine and Bolin's coats wrapped around me. Yesterday we had made it to the small community in the tunnels safely whilst Amon took over the city completely. To say I feel useless is an understatement and I also feel utterly terrified. I feel like I'm scared of everything. Every sound I hear puts me on edge. What if the Equalists find us and take Korra? What if I'm not enough to save them? What if they have caught of up to Master Tenzin? And what doesn't help matters is that I'm still freezing and I don't understand why I can't seem to get warm.

I hear footsteps walk towards me and my head snaps away from the fire to see my friends joining me. Korra and Mako are dressed in Equalist clothing which makes me assume that they've been scouting out the city to see how bad things have gotten. I instantly feel annoyed that they didn't tell me that they were going. What if something had happened and they got caught?

"You went up there? Without me?" I ask unable to mask how annoyed I am. Korra sighs and sits next to me.

"Ulazu, I know you want to keep me safe, but you're hardly in a fit state to fight." She says which makes my eyes widen.

"What do you mean? Just because I can't bend does not mean I can't fight." I say continuing to grow annoyed.

"I don't think she was talking about your bending." Mako says. He sits down next to her as Bo and Asami sit on my other side, but my gaze stays on the fire bender. His eyes move to the coats around me and then I sigh as I realise.

"As if a little thing like being cold is going to stop me from fighting." I scoff and look back at the fire. They all laugh at my comment making me look at them all in turn with a raised eyebrow. Why are they laughing? "It wasn't a joke, I was being serious." I say. Bo smiles widely at me making me even more confused.

"We know you are. The way you said it made it funny." He explains and my mouth parts.

"Oh, I didn't mean to-" I start and he laughs again.

"I know." He says with a smile. I look at him strangely before looking back at the fire. Sometimes I think I've gotten the hang on social interactions, but then something like this happens and I realise I really don't.

It isn't long before we have eaten some questionable food and are getting ready to sleep. It's cold down here, and I know I'm not the only one feeling it. I sit by the fire looking at Bolin as he collects some sleeping bags for us from a kind old man. He is shivering slightly as he walks over to me and Asami and it makes me feel extremely guilty.

"Here you go, ladies." He says as he hands us a sleeping bag each. I take it and smile to him.

"Thanks, Bo." I say. He smiles back and sets his sleeping bag up on the ground by the fire. I stand up and walk over to him. I remove his coat and pass it to him.

"Are you not cold?" He asks as he takes his coat from my hand.

"Does it matter? You're cold." I reply with a shrug. A small smile pulls at his lips as he wraps the coat around my body again.

"Don't worry about me. You need it." He says. I shake my head and go to take it off it give it back again, but he grabs onto the material by the zipper to keep it in place. My eyes meet his as he readjusts the coat around me and my heart starts beating faster at the intensity of the situation. I don't understand why this is happening and it's scaring me.

"I'll go find Mako and get him to keep the fire going. Hopefully that will help keep you warm." He says as he lets go of the coat and walks away. I stay unable to move due to the fear I'm feeling. I blink rapidly as I look around trying to get a coherent thought through my mind. But my gaze stops as I see Asami sitting on her sleeping bag with a large smirk on her face.