Chapter Twenty-Two

Callon walked through the throne room. Feeling better after a night's rest, and some morning breakfast.

He was casually pacing around greeting the Maidens, no massive events were currently taking place. This was just the average festivity breakfast.

He walked over to Zarina's table to see two of her brothers barely able to keep their heads up while Thaddeus was reading some letters.

"I thought Zarina was awake?" Callon asked as he approached them.

Darius's eyes darted up and he looked at Callon through a hooded gaze, gulping back what was probably throw up. They were very hungover, which wasn't surprising, when Callon left, Darius had been leaning on a chair calling it Thaddeus, and being so thankful for his brother's support.

Darius brought his head back down to the table, letting out a slight groan.

"She's still not feeling great," Thaddeus answered. He was the only one who looked awake, and Callon thought he saw the Demon Prince slightly smile.

Callon felt anxiety flow through his veins. Why did she not feel okay? She had been healed, no infections and Miguel had said she should be up and walking by the morning.

"Has she eaten?" Callon asked looking at some fruit that remained on the table.

"Not yet," Thaddeus answered as both Miguel and Darius groaned out at the idea of food.

"I asked the kitchen staff to send it over to her." Thaddeus Continued. He did not meet the King's eyes while he spoke, he looked far to focus on his reports.

Kitchen staff.

Callon looked over to see Iston talking to some ambassadors who were still taking bets on who Callon would end up.

Iston seemed preoccupied so Callon took this as an opportunity.

"Excuse me." He said with a respectful tone before he made his way back into his palace. He just heard the slight groans as a response from Darius.

He walked into the kitchen where the staff was currently busy cleaning, except for one Fae who was putting together a tray of food.

"Who is that for?" His voice sounded harsher than he meant, and the staff all stopped what they were doing and bowed their heads down at them.

He shook his head. "You can continue." He said quickly, they all resumed their activities. "Who is the tray for?" The king tried again with a softer voice.

She looked up at him, "F...For the L..L...Lady Zarina." She stuttered looking like she was about to get into trouble.

"I'll take that." He said gesturing for her to give him the tray.

She seemed shocked and froze unsure what to do.

"Give me the tray, please." He reinforced wanting to get this done quickly incase Iston came looking for him.

She picked up the tray and gave it to him without any further hesitation.

"Thank you." He said with a bow causing her to nearly faint. He barely dealt with any of the servants, that was Iston's responsibility.

He walked out and continued up through the back stairs towards Zarina's room.

***

Zarina stood on the balcony taking in a deep breath of cold air. She traced the bare skin where her scar was still visible. She was wearing a lace undergarment with a black sheer robe over.