Chapter Seven

Iston was leaning his elbow and head on the door frame of his chambers as he painfully watched his companion from the night before get dressed.

Iston had managed to catch the eye of one of the Ember Fae Representatives. A beautiful, well-built man with hair touched with flames. It had been a very fun night, but right now, Iston needed the Fae to leave.

His fingers traced the arch of his eyebrow as he massaged away the pain that was left over from far too much ale.

The Ember Fae was clumsily pulling up his pants, he looked positively flushed and nervous.

His orange eyes looked over at Iston, "Could you at least close the door?"

Iston looked over his shoulder of the passageway that slowly filling with more and more people. He kept the door open, a trick he had picked up to get his nightly partners to leave.

He smirked before slowly looking back at the Fae, "Are you ashamed of sleeping with me?" He was teasing the Fae.

He couldn't remember the man's name, but he doubted they would speak again, so it did not matter to him.

"You are an asshole." The Fae's voice was harsh as his eyes lit up. He pulled on his boots before pushing past Iston and storming down the passageways.

"Feel free to take it up with the King." Iston called out with a taunting tone.

The Fae of course did not reply. Not when he was perfectly aware of who Iston was, knew where he stood in the Palace.

Iston let out a huff of amusement.

The halls continued to fill with more and more people, as they made their way towards the Throne room for the next event.

Iston's headache disappeared when he saw her again. Lady Zarina. The Half-breed.

She strode down the halls with her head down. She looked like a complete mess. Her face was not painted as the night before, and her hair was let down, and barely even brushed.

The King had questioned why the half-breed was sent instead of the other more suitable heirs, Iston had no answer for him.

Her green eyes darted up and briefly met his. They narrowed and he felt the need to shift his entire body. The expression itself Iston took as a clear warning to stay the fuck away from her.

She continued forward and disappeared around the corner.

Good luck to whoever tries to talk to her.

***

Thaddeus entered the throne hall to see sheeted tables scattered across the court floor decorated with light-coloured flowers.

The room was lightly decorated with flowers that would not die until the event ended.

He strode through the room wearing a simple black and grey suit with his black hair wiped back, out of his face.

From the amount of chatter taking place, it seems that the Greetings had gone very well and the Ceremony had now moved on to the next Phase of festivities.

The Needling.

He looked over the room until his eyes landed on his sister. She sat at a table by herself glaring out over the room. She looked ready to kill someone. She looked ready to bring out her claws, if she had any.

Her black hair was let loose, and her make up was barely done. She wore another conservative robe that had been prepared for her.

Thaddeus shook his head and made his towards her.