Chapter Thirty-Three

Zarina starred at the invite as a range of emotions washed over her.

Darius was cheering and applauding how amazing his sister was for winning the King over. Their table becoming a buzz with Ambassadors and other court members who would occasionally say congratulations.

Being picked for Three Nights in Heaven, may not mean you would bond with the King, but it definitely could lead to you being one of his mistresses.

Zarina just starred at her name over and over, trying to figure out how he managed to do it? How did he manage to break her enchantment?

"Smile sister," Darius said while placing a glass of sparkling wine in front of her. "This is great news."

No, it wasn't. He was inviting her to spend a night with him, but he had said multiple times how he could not bond with her. What sort of trap was the King trying to pull her into?

Zarina looked over at Miguel and Thaddeus who were standing further away from the table whispering between each other. They would send cautious glares her way occasionally, but would quickly turn back to their conversations.

The King walked in and was immediately stopped by Uinen's representatives who began thanking him.

She looked up at him wondering how he managed to break her enchantments, and why couldn't she entice his mind like she could others?

He politely smiled at the mermaid's representative before looking towards Zarina, his eyes gleaming at her with arrogance and cockiness. He had purposely found a way to work around her enchantment. Was that why he had picked her, purely to prove a point?

His eyes moved to Thaddeus and Miguel, worry quickly falling over his face.

He seemed to excuse himself from the conversation and gestured over to Iston to follow him, they both walked towards Thaddeus and Miguel and spoke among themselves suspiciously.

Zarina shook her head in annoyance, she wasn't going to sleep with the King, she hoped he knew that. She would need to ensure he knew that. But for now, she needed air, and she needed to get out of this busy Court.

She had had guards and her brothers following her around everywhere since last night. They were being more overbearing than usual, which was saying something.

Were they worried their dad would kidnap her away?

"Darius, I'm going out." She said firmly as she stood up from her chair.

"Uh." Darius looked over to where her other two brothers were talking, "I'm supposed to keep my eye on you for some reason."

She narrowed her eyes at him. He met her gaze and traced over her expression. "Uh hell, enjoy your freedom while it lasts." He said with a shrug as he took another swig of wine.

She smiled and placed her hand on his shoulder. "Thank you." She grabbed her coat that lay on the table and walked off before anyone else saw her.

***

Iston stood with his arms folded over his chest as he listened to Thaddeus and Miguel express their concern.

"She is safer underground." Thaddeus said with a stern voice as he looked up at Callon.

"I concur." Miguel nodded at Thaddeus. "Keeping her here, is not wise."

Iston found himself shaking his head, the King had actually gone and made the half-breed his favorite. How did she go from being an Ambassador to being the King's Favorite? Was he going to pick her? Was he going to Bond with her? The idea of Zarina constantly being around sent a shiver down his spine.