Chapter Thirty-Seven

Zarina jumped from her bed, her body twitching and her eyes rapidly moving over the room. The sounds of screeching and snarling still echoing in her mind.

She felt panicked and wanted to get up from the bed. She began trying to move to feel a sharp pain in her back, but she needed to get up she needed to move.

"Z?" Callon's voice felt so far away as she jumped out of the bed.

She let out a moan of pain as her hand gripped her back, but she needed to move. She stumbled around the room trying to ease her body's restlessness.

"Zarina." Callon's voice was closer now but still, she couldn't focus on him, couldn't see his face, couldn't breathe properly.

She saw the balcony, the snow, she wanted to be in the snow, to freeze her body.

Arms wrapped around her as she struggled and moaned out. "Shh." His voice whispered in hushed tones.

She felt her body begin to relax. The details in her room slowly came back to focus. Her body began to feel more like a liquid than it did violent vibrations.

She became aware of the body holding her. His chest pressed against her front, his head leaning gently against hers. His hands tracing up and down her back. She flinched when he traced over the most painful section on her back.

"Sorry," Callon whispered as he removed his hand from her back.

She slowly looked up to see his pale eyes looking down at her. The golden ring seeming thicker than usual. Her breaths became more stable and she felt at ease.

"Callon? What happened?" She said realizing how dry her mouth was.

He slowly released her but kept his hands gently resting on her arms. He traced his fingers up and down her skin, sending goosebumps over her body. He was being very caring again.

She pulled away and made her way to the wettable to pour herself some water. Miguel's healing powers always made her thirsty.

"You were attacked by the Undead," Callon said with a gentle tone. "Miguel saved you."

She downed the glass of water and shook her head. "No, you saved me." She said remembering how he had come down on the griffin and sliced through every last creature that had been waiting for her to die.

"I got you out, but you would have died if Miguel had not healed you."

She shook her head at how the King was being annoyingly modest. She turned to face him and saw out the window that it was now mid-day.

"Someone will see you." She said sternly gesturing that he should leave out the door.

"It's fine Z," He said with a gentle smile. His golden eyes gently traced over her movement.

"No, it is not, someone might think you picked me." She said sternly as she moved to a chair. Her back still hurt and she still felt weak.

Callon stood for several seconds before he walked over to her. He knelt in front of her, sitting inches away.

"I have picked you, Z." He said the words slowly ensuring Zarina understood. "I am going to Bond with you."

He reached out to take her hand in a loving gesture. His fingers wrapped around her hands and she began to take in shallow breaths.

"I have already discussed everything with Thaddeus." He said gently. "I will still have to finish the events, but I am picking you."

She did not know how to take in his words. Was he insane? Was he messing with her?