Chapter One

The room was barely lit up by a few staggering candles that floated in the air above them.

The air was thick with the smell of death and carnage. Blood red drapes lined the walls, the silver stitching barely visible in the dim light.

At the end of the room stood a silver throne atop a dais. The large being who sat there gave off the power he rightfully deserved.

The Emperor looked down at his little abomination. His thick black main ran down to his shoulders. His eyes were a bloodthirsty red that made one turn away in fear, if they so much as gazed over you. He was a giant in size with a body of pure muscle.

He was the Demon Emperor. The Ruler of the Underground. He was someone people ran from, and for good reason. He had no patience for failure, but today, he needed to deal with his biggest one.

So, he looked down at his useless creature. She knelt before him. Her head dropped down in a sign of respect. Her hair the similar onyx black to his, that fell down to her waist. It was still in entanglements, but that would be expected. She had just been woken up.

She wore a black robe that had been thrown on quickly to prepare her for this meeting, no doubt she felt exposed and weak without her weapons.

But that's what she got for upsetting the Emperor, he would make sure she obeyed this time.

"Do not disappoint me again." He billowed in a deep voice that shook the halls.

She looked up at him, her green eyes a reminder of her diluted blood, her eyes filled with defiance.

"Father, give her patience."

The Emperor let out a groan of annoyance as his heir walked into the room.

Thaddeus was a tall muscular man with black hair and red eyes, a perfect example of how his heirs should look.

The large sword he wore swayed as he entered the throne room. Each step he took was calm but powerful.

"Zarina may surprise us yet." Thaddeus stopped next to the kneeling insect. Her emerald gaze shot up at him irritably.

Unnatural, disobeying and ungrateful. That is what this child was.

"She must learn respect." The Emperor growled.

Zarina looked down at the ground again, a tinge of fear rippling over her skin as she slightly glowed.

He liked it when she was scared, she should always be scared. She needed to be constantly reminded that here, here she had no power. Here she was nothing.

"Send her to the Royal's Bonding Ceremony." Thaddeus said crossing his arms.

The Emperor wondered what it was about Zarina that caused Thaddeus to be so protective of her. It was a weakness that he would need to kneed out if he wished to take the throne one day.

Zarina winced at the thought of visiting the land above, Dalustra. The Emperor gave her wicked smile. She would do it; he would make her do it.

But would Zarina be up to the task of not only playing nice with the Dalustrians, but also be able to gather information for the Emperor?

The air in the room stilled as the Emperor contemplated if he could trust this child to perform such an important role in the King's court.

"I'll Prepare her." Thaddeus said as if reading his father's mind.

The Emperor let out an agitated grunt. His fingers tapped on his throne as his red eyes lingered over them.

Worst that could occur was that she upset the king, got tortured, and if anyone found out what she was, she'd be killed.

He didn't mind the sound of no longer having to deal with her.

"If you fail me, you will be put back on Ice." The Emperor warned.

She bowed her head in respect before getting up from her knees while maintaining a perfectly straight back.

Besides her defiance and her tainted blood, she would have made a perfect bargaining chip to wed off. She was in the eyes a man, a beautiful specimen. But alas the Emperor couldn't be that lucky. She was born broken.

She stormed off towards the exit as the Emperor looked at Thaddeus. "You will not fail me either." He cautioned.

Thaddeus might be heir to the Underground, and while the Emperor found Thaddeus more pleasant than his other offspring. He would just as quickly put him on the Ice.

Thaddeus bowed his head before turning on his heels and walking to the exit.

******

Thaddeus felt the prickle of annoyance as he chased after Zarina. She had stormed off from the throne room with not so much as a thank you.

She was disrespectful and ungrateful, if he had not stepped in when he had she would have been sent to look after the Souls of the Dead for another hundred years, or worse, put right back on Ice.

She turned a corner that led to the kitchens. No surprise there, she could probably eat a horse right about now.

He walked in and saw her searching through the cold cupboard ignoring his presence. Her skin was slightly glowing from the anger that was lighting up her soul.

"Control your emotions." Thaddeus thundered as he crossed his arms over his chest.

She pulled out a piece of meat that by the size possibly had come from a horse. She turned to him. Her emerald green eyes lighting up as she continued to battle the power that roamed through her veins.

She closed her eyes and began taking in deep breaths, her skin slowly dimming into its more natural colour, and her eyes eventually opened to reveal that the glow was now completely managed.

She walked to the counter and began ripping in to the meat.

"The Ceremony begins tomorrow evening." Thaddeus began as he stepped in closer towards her.

She didn't seem to be listening, but he knew she was.

"You are to listen and not speak." He continued, as he wanted to make this as clear as possible to her.

"I know that is difficult for you." His cheeky comment was a taunt to try and get a reaction out of her, but alas, she kept digging into the flesh.

She had been pulled from the Ice mere hours ago. Her face remained passive, but Thaddeus knew his sister's blood was boiling.

She let out a yawn and tried to shake it off, but the effects from the Ice were still strong in her bones. Which was probably why she couldn't control her glow earlier.

He wasn't sure how long the effects would still linger. She had been asleep for a very long time.

"You will be expected to respect the King." Thaddeus continued as he sat down next to her.

Zarina let out a sigh of frustration making Thaddeus smile.

"There is my annoyed sister." He said nudging her with his arm.

Zarina looked up at him, anger still obviously dipping in her soul. "I'll kill him one day." She said with a vowing tone, and Thaddeus knew she meant their father.

"We do not speak such things in places this like." Thaddeus said in a stern tone, that caused the room to darken.

She nodded slowly, "Thank you." She finally got out.

"Wow." Thaddeus began. "The girl said thank you."

She rolled her eyes and got up, taking the plate with her. Her black hair disappeared behind the doorway.

When she woke from the Ice, he knew it was best to let her have her space. Pestering her when she still felt the effects of Ice could result in a dagger in his back.

Thaddeus would leave her be for now, he would prepare her tomorrow morning, closer to the time.