Chapter Forty

Iston walked into the library with more ground beans. Miguel and he had been burning the midnight oil as they searched through every book they could find looking for a ritual that would involve the undead.

He placed the mug down by Miguel's book and sat down next to him, turning back to the tomes he had been reading.

They had still not found anything about the Undead. It seemed to be completely unheard of. They still had no idea why Zarina was being stalked.

"Thanks," Miguel said as he took the mug and began drinking it.

"Zarina is awake," Iston stated as readjusted himself.

Miguel slightly looked over at him, and Iston met his eyes. "She looks... Good."

Miguel arched his eyebrow at the chamberlain, "I mean she looks healthy." Iston corrected as he rolled his eyes in annoyance.

Miguel nodded, "Thank you." He turned his attention back to his book and Iston did the same.

Zarina had looked good though. He was starting to enjoy frustrating her by calling her Lady Zarina.

"I've never read this much in my entire life," Iston said as he began turning a page of a book.

"You can go if you are tired." Miguel offered with a gentle voice.

"And let you take sole credit for figuring it out, I do not think so," Iston said with a naughty smile.

Miguel huffed out a smile as he turned a page.

Iston looked over his shoulder at Miguel taking a moment to realize how attractive he looked when he was focusing.

"What is it?" Miguel asked seeming to be aware that Iston was staring at him.

Iston looked back at his book, "Nothing."

Miguel stopped reading and his eyebrows furrowed. He turned his head to look at Iston. His mouth opened but he did not say anything. He turned his head back to the book and continued reading.

Iston wondered if it was just him if he was the only one who seemed to be feeling something between them.

Every time Miguel shifted, Iston felt like he needed to shift, if Miguel got close, he would feel himself involuntarily swallow. He enjoyed accompanying Miguel and enjoying spending time with him, even in silence.

"I worry for my sister," Miguel said softly as he broke the silence between them.

He was thinking about his sister, not Iston. Iston needed to get any ideas of them doing anything out of his head.

"We will figure it out," Iston said reassuringly as he read through the book.

"Thank you Iston," Miguel said turning to smile at him.

Iston returned the smile and nodded slowlybefore returning to the books.

***

Zarina climbed out of the warm bath immediately being wrapped up in a cloth as her ladies began drying her off.

She had begun the preparation for the evening and she was feeling anxious. Never before had she gone through this much to prepare for a night of what might lead to sex.

Might, she might not let anything happen.

Once dry they placed a robe over her body and led her back towards her mirror and table.

"This feels very awkward," Darius said as he shifted on her bed.

She smiled at him through her reflection. Darius was here to help prepare her for the evening.

"You probably know more than me when it comes to bedly pleasures." He said shrugging.

"I highly doubt that brother." She laughed as she stared at him. Darius was very good with the ladies and never struggled to get his nightly visits free of charge from any woman.

"I'm not sure what to prepare you for." He said leaning his elbows on his knees.

The woman began styling the hair as she looked down feeling very nervous.

"Tell me that this will not change me." She said clenching her hands in her lap.

Darius tilted his head in the realization that she wasn't talking about the night, but about Bonding with the King.

"I cannot do that." He said softly.

She closed her eyes as she felt like her life was about to slip away.

"Everything we go through changes us sister." He said reassuringly. "However, if this does change you, I'm sure you will like the outcomes."

She shook her head in disagreement. Sitting pretty on a throne, trapped in a palace, while giving Callon heirs was not an outcome she could see herself contempt with.

Darius got up and walked over to her.

The ladies moved and made space for him as he placed his hands on her shoulders in a loving way. "No amount of change will ever squash your spirit." He said with a smile.

She looked up at him through the mirror and gave a fake smile back.

He chuckled and released her shoulders. "If you are to be Queen, you will need to practice those fake smiles."

She giggled slightly as he walked away, lettingthe ladies continue getting her ready.