Chapter Thirty-One

Zarina had always tried to ensure she never felt weak. Her brothers had trained her in combat from a very young age, and she used her powers to ensure she was always the strongest one in the room.

But when the Emperor was near her, she was reminded that she was an abomination that should never have existed. A creature with tainted blood.

He sat in the center seat of the table tracing his crimson eyes over the court. His dark clothes and dark hair made him contrast from the light-colored court. The entire table looked dark in comparison with all her brothers and herself dressed in their colors.

He had come for the event, and to promise the King all the other objects and titles that would come along if the King chose her.

Thaddeus had not looked up from the table where his fingers had been rapidly tapping for nearly an hour now. Miguel was looking just as distressed, while Darius looked positively chipper. Especially after finding Zarina and Callon this morning.

"Have you found your mate yet son?" The Emperor spoke out with a deep voice that could instantly crush dreams.

"Not yet father," Thaddeus responded as his eyes briefly darted across the room.

Zarina narrowed her gaze and tried to figure out where it was that he been looking at. She saw Nessa and shook her head. If Callon found that Thaddeus was at all interested in Nessa, he would make an example of Thaddeus.

Nessa was the King's.

"The clock is ticking." The Emperor growled.

Miguel turned his head to look at their father. "What clock?" He asked looking concerned.

They were all distracted by the sound of music as the King strode into the room. He looked just as powerful as he usually did, but tonight he was armed.

Zarina creased her eyebrows, why would the King arm himself for an event? She looked up at her father and wondered if the King felt threatened by the Emperor's presence.

Iston walked forward and began to explain how the event would take place. It was very simple, the King would talk to each of the lady's fathers, and when the king was done dinner would be served.

Zarina noticed how Iston didn't seem as cheerful as he usually was. Something was wrong.

He looked over at her table specifically. His eyes tracing through all the demon siblings and creasing when they reached her.

"The king's darker than what would be preferred." The Emperor commented causing Zarina to clench onto the armchairs, to try and prevent herself from flinging at him. "But you will bring a bit of fairer skin into his line." The Emperor began tracing a finger down her shoulder causing her body to shudder in disgust.

"Things like that do not matter father," Thaddeus said with a gentle smile.

"Hmm." The Emperor groaned out as he turned his attention away from Zarina and back to the crowds.

How Zarina wished she could stab her father through the eye. Every moment he spoke was a reminder of how much she hated him.

"Who is Zarina's biggest competition?" The Emperor asked as his red eyes traced the tables.

Darius was about to open his mouth when Thaddeus interrupted him. "Do not answer that."

Thaddeus was wise not to tell the Emperor. Their father would likely ensure that Zarina's competition was suddenly taken out.

"Tell me, child." The Emperor said looking down at Zarina. "Have you opened your thighs for him?"

She closed her eyes and withheld everything in her body not to scream and storm out. "No," She hissed as she opened her eyes and watched as Callon sat with Uinen's father. He sat opposite them.