Chapter Thirty-Six

Callon pulled on a shirt as he sat up onto the couch that sat in his bed chambers.

He looked over to the bed to see a very naked sleeping Uinen. He felt a bit of guilt crawl into him remembering how she had been so kind and gentle to help clean his wounds from the battle, but he could not even repay her with a kiss.

He got up allowing his body to stretch out feeling healed and refreshed. He walked over to the wettable and began pouring out a glass of water.

"My King." He looked over his shoulder to see Uinen, sitting up from the bed, her breasts exposed and her eyes filled with desire. "Do you feel better this morning?"

Her words were suggestive, saying yes would lead her to believe he would go and lay with her.

"My body still aches." He said with a gentle smile as he turned back to the wettable and began downing down the water.

He heard fabric rustle from behind him and didn't want to turn around.

Her hands wrapped around his chest from behind as she pressed herself against his back. "Can I help soothe any pain, my King?" She asked with a gentle voice.

"I'm fine Lady Uinen." He said not moving his body in case he would offend her.

She slowly let go of his body and let out a sigh of disappointment. This was not how these evenings were supposed to go.

But all he could think about was Zarina, and when would Iston come and tell him she was awake. He had never come.

He needed to go and find out if she was okay.

He turned around to see the naked Uinen starring up at him with deep blue eyes.

"I must take leave." He said with a kind smile as she looked hurt.

"Did I ever have a chance, My King?" She asked the blunt question with pained eyes.

He didn't have to answer her, this was all part of partaking in these events. He had to pick three, and she was on the list.

This is why picking one at the end was necessary. Some of these girls would get hurt, and if he picked no one, their lords and fathers would not respect the king and hold hatred towards him.

"Goodbye Uinen." He said sternly as he grabbed a coat from a chair and made his way out of the room.

***

Screeching sounds echoed all around Zarina. Darkness blocking out all light blinding her from seeing where the noise came from.

She could hear screeching get closer and she would prepare herself to be attacked but nothing would touch her.

She couldn't move, and even if she could, she didn't know where she would go. It felt like she was standing in nothingness.

She couldn't scream, she couldn't breathe.

***

Thaddeus sat in the chair in Zarina's room watching her. She hadn't woken up, and it was beginning to worry him. This was the longest she had ever stayed under Miguel's healing spell, and he couldn't imagine how many internal wounds she must have.

Iston sat on a couch snoring, as Miguel sat in a lounger reading a small book. Thaddeus noticed that once and a while his brother would look over at Iston in interest before looking back at his book.