1.22 - Strike

Surprising myself, I didn't freak out about the scar on my eye to anyone and started the day by unwillingly making myself go to the next station to try out for the position of another job. I was allowed to take it slow thanks to the injury on my back. 

I knew from the start that I would be made to go through the job of a slicer and the experience would be a horrible one no matter how much I enjoyed Frypan's cooking that consists of meat. I really hate the idea of slaughtering animals.

I have tried to delay from stepping into the Bloodhouse ever since I woke up. Out of all the jobs to try out in the glade, that had to be the first one, and I was far from excited to know what goes on in the Bloodhouse. I mean, it's literally called Blooudhouse for an obvious reason. I tried to prolong my stay at the med-jacks, but both Jeff and Clint have to drag me out of the room in the end. Jeff had checked my wound, saying that it's healing just fine and I can come back in the evening for him to cut out the stitches. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that. 

After breakfast, I tried to hide in the forest but was almost immediately caught by Newt who seemed to be able to predict where I'd be. He personally marched me towards the Bloodhouse, ignoring my whines and protests along the way. 

"Can't I do it tomorrow?" I turned around and asked him. "Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and say 'This is a new day and I think I will be in the mood to kill living things.' Just let me go help Frypan or work in the gardens Newt. I'll go to the Bloodhouse tomorrow."

Newt gave me a half sympathized look. "There's a lot of bloody tomorrow's, Rosie. Just bear with today and you'll be fine alright?"

Has he dealt with greenies that refuse to do certain things? He sounds weary of the situation that seems to repeat itself. I decided to suck it up and nodded grimly at him. I'd go for his sake.

He breaks into a smile. "I'll see you at dinner then."

"Bye." I waved at him sadly as he left me there.

As soon as I step into the Bloodhouse I heard someone cleared his throat and spoke. "You're late."

"You should have come and got me earlier if you're going to complain about my tardiness." The words left my mouth before I could stop them.

Winston broke into a small grin, as though he was amused before putting his butcher knife away. "Come on shank, we got so much to do and the day's almost over." Yeah right, lunch was just half an hour ago.

"You'll be cleaning the barns and I'll teach you how to bathe the animals later. Good luck." Winston gave me a shovel before pointing at a poorly built shed.

"But why would I need this?" I frowned at him.

"You'll see." Winston gave me a sly smile before leaving me alone.

Huffing, I began to make my way towards the shed and a pungent smell hit my nostrils once I opened the door. My eyes quickly adjusted with the darkness in the shed and I scrunched up my nose at the sight of animal litters on the ground.

Now I know why I needed a shovel.

~*~*~*~

So far work has been treating me well, but I still dread the moment when Winston says he'll show me the correct way to slaughter animals for our next meal. I tried to make an excuse by volunteering to train the cows to go litter inside the woods by Winston waves away my suggestion before grabbing my hand and drags me towards a pig that was tied down on the ground. I tried not to wince as much when his bloodied hands stained mine.

"You can't make me do this." I spoke with a blank look on my face. "You can't make me kill anything."

Winston shook his head at my statement before trying to push me over to the pig. "You have no choice Primrose, the quicker you get this done, the better."