1.25 - Not Oneself

"Newt, Newt, Newtieeee." I hummed the boy's name under my breath as I approach his still figure that was curled up into a ball in his hammock. 

He hadn't come down for breakfast and I was starting to worry about him since he was never late for anything. I had thought he wanted to sleep in when he didn't wake up when his watch beeped this morning, and left him be as I went down for my meal. Liam joined me for breakfast when he saw I was by myself, something I appreciated, but I hated existing in the same space as his rowdy friends when I'm barely awake. I prefer my quiet mornings with Newt; holding hands, playing with the string of his hoodie, poking randomly at each other, letting the noises the boys would make to slowly stir us awake. 

So far I've only completed one job try-out, which was at the Bloodhouse. It wasn't a successful one either. Instead of having me try out for the task for a week like I was initially assigned to, that was the first and last day I was on the job. I wasn't exactly eager to get back there either and was relieved I had gotten immunity. I was to start a new job today with the med-jacks, and felt pretty relaxed about it. There aren't a lot of jobs for them usually, more importantly, Clint doesn't seem like he's a strict keeper. 

"Newt?" I whispered his name once more when I received no response. His blanket was over his head and the only reason I could tell it was Newt curled up in his hammock was because strands of his blond hair were sticking out from underneath the material. "Newtie, it's time to wake up I'm afraid." I told him gently as I peeled the blanket off of him. 

He had his eyes scrunched shut, looking like he was battling pain. Cold sweat had broken across his skin and some of his hair was stuck to his forehead. "Oh, Newt." I looked at him sympathetically before brushing the hair away from his face. He shivered at my touch before pulling the blanket over himself again, this time letting it rest under his nose so he would have proper ventilation. 

"I'm so cold." I had to lean down to listen to what he was trying to utter. 

"I'll find the med-jacks or Frypan to see if they have a heating bag."I told him as I reached over for my blanket and gave him an extra layer. "I hope Jeff would have medicine for this. Lucky I'll be starting my tryout to see if I can be a med-jack, huh?" I tried to ease the situation by saying something funny, knowing my statement was far from that. Newt somehow manages to force a smile at me before grunting. 

~*~*~*~

"Seriously? Nothing?" I gaped at Jeff who returned it with a sheepish look. "What the shuck have the creators been giving exactly?"

"Nothing much." Clint was the one who answered and he shows me the pathetic amount of bandages and bandaids he pulled out from a drawer. "Usually these, we used most of the bandages on you for your back and eye."

"I don't suppose they care if one of us died of sickness." Jeff shrugs. "I mean, if they had cared, we wouldn't be living with the grievers."

"True." I nodded along with his statement. Truth be told, I had always wondered why grievers never entered the maze during the day, given that the doors are open and all of us would be vulnerable to their attacks. It's not like they're not active during the day either, they make appearances as runners would spot them sometimes, but it's a pretty rare occurrence. 

"We only have our own antibodies to fall on to," Clint explains, looking over at Newt's sleeping figure. 

"Oi," I caught a beetle blade before it could scurry away, speaking into the red light. The tiny machine tried to escape by releasing small blades to cut my fingers, but I maneuver my fingers around as though it was the easiest thing to do in the world and it could do nothing but squirm.