2.1 - The Missing Sun

They were thrust into the new world with shoving hands and commanding shouts.

"Let us out! I'll kill you! I'll kill you all!" 

Primrose had not stopped attacking the metal barricade with her feet the moment she heard the sound of the lock being turned behind her. She cursed as she whipped around, pique at her brief moment of carelessness. She was the last of the gladers to go through the door, into a dull grey room filled with bunk beds and she immediately felt the room closing in, suffocating her with its taunts of limited space.  

"I said LET ME OUT!" Her voice broke at the end of her shriek, causing her to go into fits of choking coughs. She felt someone patting her back to soothe her coughing, Newt. 

"Rosie, stop. They said we'll be safe in here, please try to calm down," He tried to guide her away from the door gently, but Primrose dug her feet into the ground, refusing to move. 

"I can't breathe." She gasps, holding on tightly onto the iron circle. Newt noticed her knuckles had turned white from how tightly she was gripping onto it. "I need to get out, I can't breathe."

"Get away from the door!" Thomas was there in a flash, pulling them both away. His sudden gesture to speak startled her and caused her grip to loosen before she was pulled away. "You might have been breathing in something poisonous!" 

Primrose screams and scrambles back to the door, putting all of her remaining strength to try to turn the wheel. She swears it moved barely an inch this time, but that might be her hands moving because of the sweat that coated her palms. 

"Tommy, slim yourself, there's no poisonous gas, we're safe with the Right Arm. Rosie's claustrophobic." Newt pats Thomas's back before approaching Primrose once more, gripping the other side of the wheel, "Rosie, let me help you."

Primrose looks between Newt and the wheel before relenting, knowing Newt had only offered to help her with the wheel to make her feel better. She knew that the door was locked from the outside. No one staying in this room can break them out. 

"Chill Prim, we escaped the maze, I say we should celebrate." Minho jumps off the top bunk he was resting on, landing on the ground with a heavy thump. "Forget the door, there are a few windows here. Let's just open them up and WHAT THE SHUCK?" 

Primrose had spotted the woman who was pressing her face against the window before Minho did as he threw the curtains open, but it was his loud voice that made her jump. Newt had his arm slung across her shoulder and gave her a reassuring squeeze, but the boy's face had paled. The woman looked like a cartoon character an artist had drawn to look deranged. Part of her curly hair was matted while the rest bloomed across her head like an odd dandelion, and there were a few bite marks on her face. As she grinned at the gladers, Primrose took notice that most of her teeth were gone and was somehow half surprised to see her pink tongue as she licks the glass, crackling up in laughter when she saw numerous pairs of frightened eyes staring back at her. 

"Liam, how the shuck did you manage to lie down here with her watching you sleep?" Minho glared at the half-asleep boy for his lack of warning. Liam merely yawned in response and switched beds, clearly too exhausted to figure out what Minho was talking about. 

"What's that?" Jack asked, looking at the other windows. "Do you think there are more?"

"That's clearly a human." Frypan observes, "Maybe a crazy one."

Exclamations and curses of fright and shock soon echoed from all around the room. As each window was revealed, there stood more people who are in a similar state as the first woman. Some had missing body parts, some had yellow teeth, some had missing patches of hair, some wore tattered clothes, some wore nothing at all, some were banging their fists onto the glass, while some were screaming words at the gladers, their spit landing on the other side of the window.