1.39 - Grievers VS Runners- Part 1

I had my fair share of sleepless nights or nights when I didn't have enough sleep. And everyone knew I would get very cranky the very next day and made it their mission to avoid me like a plague. I knew I couldn't function very well if I wasn't well-rested and kept myself away from the crowd as well.

And I was bummed when I realized I wanted to go into the maze to help the trios that were stuck in there, thus sacrificing sleep.

Newt had spent an awfully long time falling asleep because his mind was still trying to process the fact that his closest friends might be dead by now and deep down he feared for the safety of his friends, despite the "No one survives a night in the maze" mantra. I hummed him to sleep that night and he fell asleep holding my hand. I felt so shy and buried my face in my pillow at the beginning. Eventually, Newt went to slumberland, mumbling a few words under his breath that I couldn't make out. It was a challenge to untangle my hand from his without waking him up.

As quickly as I could, I slipped into my running gear and snuck out of our room. I went to my room next to bring along my practice knives. Opening the door that leads into Minho's room, I easily found the set of keys that unlocks the Map Room that was thrown carelessly on a small table at the corner of the room. I also snuck into the Medjacks' room and stole four syringes of Grief Serums, just in case one of us gets stung, I can inject the serum earlier. Noting not everyone would be sleeping soundly tonight made me wary of my steps as I descend down the stairs; careful not to step on any loose boards that'll give me away.

If you're wondering, Minho had the Builders board up the small window on the Map Room, claiming he didn't like the beetle blades that hang out nearby. But I knew he thought if I could fit in through the window, other gladers could peek in without much effort even though they knew the Map Room was off-limits to them. I honestly don't understand why the Map Room is off-limits to people who aren't runners. Perhaps Minho was afraid someone would be smart enough to figure out the map has been finished ages ago.

That's why I needed the keys to get into the map room. Closing the door after me, I began to search for the secret door that leads into the weapon room by removing the trunk from their position. Minho had mentioned once there's a hidden weapon room in here but he never showed me where.

I nearly did a victory dance after I removed the third trunk from the right, spotting a dirty rug underneath it and kicking it away to find what I've been searching for. The secret room isn't that hard to find, considering the walls of the Map Room is made out of sticks, obviously it's gonna be an underground room.

"Woah." I whistled once I've taken a look at all the weapons in the room. Axes, knives, spears, daggers, sickles and even bows and arrows were laid neatly over the place. It was practically a weapon haven or vault! No wonder Minho doesn't let anyone down here and personally handle the runners their weapons.

Picking up a set of daggers I normally use when I have to go into the maze, I strapped the belt around my waist and continued picking up knives, testing their weight to see if I was able to throw them without using much energy before sliding them into the strap on my legs. On my way out, I grabbed a bow and arrows and slung them onto my back before placing everything (except the keys) back where they were and jogged towards the closest door.

Wasting no more time, I grabbed a handful of ivies and tested them out to make sure they could handle my body weight and started climbing like there was no tomorrow. I wasted too much time, all three of them shuckfaces could be dead by now. I just hope I could reach them in time.

"The ivies don't go all the way to the top." I remembered Newt saying that to Thomas.

Well, guess who's lying on their back on the top of the walls and feel like her arms are about to fall off? Newt would freak when he finds out.