2. 🐳

Namjoon was running once again. He was supposed to be at his work two minutes ago but the science teacher decided to keep him longer in her class to do a few extra tests. Namjoon didn't even have time to stop by home and see how his mother was doing.

She could usually take care of herself on her own but Namjoon wanted to help her as much as possible. He started his part time job in a nearby small family restaurant in hope to raise funds for his mother's medicine and food. His mother wasn't happy about him having to study and work at the same time but Namjoon reassured her it wasn't tough.

Eight hours in school, eight hours at work and he would spend the rest of the night studying for the upcoming exams. And with all of that, Namjoon was still at the top of the board. Besides being called a freak, everyone knew how smart the boy was. No one could compete with his intelligence.

As soon as he rushed inside the restaurant, Namjoon was met with a sweet cupcake scent and his chief who was standing at the counter. He ran up to the counter and bowed in apology. His breathing was fast and he could feel a drop of sweat sliding down his forehead.

"Oh, Namjoon. You don't have to bow to me. You didn't even have to hurry so much, we understand you." Mr. Min said and placed his hand on Namjoon's shoulder.

Min family lived a couple of houses away from Namjoon and were good with Namjoon's mother, which helped Namjoon out in finding a job. After lots of pleading, they finally let Namjoon work at their place, knowing how good and passionate he was about everything he did.

And they also knew about the circumstances Namjoon and his mother lived in and how desperate he was to earn more money.

"Mr. Min, I'm so sorry! My teacher kept me at school! It won't happen again, i promise!" Namjoon said, his voice a little sore from all the raw breathing.

"Namjoon, how many times do i have to tell you, it's Jimin for you! I'm still young, don't use the last name please!" Mr. Min said, chuckling as he did so before releasing Namjoon's shoulder.

Namjoon went to the staff room at the back of the restaurant to change into his uniform. After making sure his yellow shirt was nicely buttoned and tucked into his black jeans, he walked back to the counter to take over the job. Jimin scooped up his bag and with a small goodbye, left the restaurant and Namjoon with two customers inside.

The restaurant wasn't as filled as it usually was these days so Namjoon took a chance to lean onto the counter with his elbows and rest. Today's top dessert were korean pancakes with corn cyrup and fresh strawberries, he read from the board.

He pushed his hand into his pocket, almost squealing in happiness after finding out he had just enough money for one portion. He would sure surprise his mother tonight with some sweet pancake.

"Welcome, Namjoon. How was your day at school today? You look exhausted, alright." Yoongi, Namjoon's boss and the owner of the restaurant, made him snap out of his thoughts.

"Oh, hello! It was not bad, I guess. I got A in my math class today." Namjoon answered. The blonde smiled widely and tapped the tip of Namjoon's head softly. "That's some great news, Joonie. Your mother must be very proud of you." He said. Namjoon nodded, always feeling happy whenever someone complimented him since he wasn't used to hearing good things about himself.

They would all usually mock him or make fun of him for wearing old clothes and being the brain of the whole school. He didn't even have any friends. He never knew what it felt like to sit untill the midnight and talk about love problems with his best friend. He would only stay up to study.

But Namjoon was indeed happy. He had his mother, a roof above his head, warm bed, his neighbor and he asked for nothing more than that.

Another very long day ended and Namjoon was packing up his stuff to go home. It was around ten. The weather was surprisingly cold outside, even though it was burning hot in the day light. His warm jumper helped him keep the warmth untill he reached home.

Yoongi didn't want to hear a word from him when he packed up two pancakes and two teas inside a paper bag and handed it to him without Namjoon paying for anything. After a lot of persisting, Namjoon eventually gave up because no one could ever argue with his boss. And he didn't want to come out impolite.

So now he was on his way back home, jumping on and off the sidewalk as he thought about how happy his mother will be. Namjoon was a pure, innocent child every parent would wish for. Smallest things could make his heart full. Food, for example. He didn't need to spend money on expensive clothes and drinks. He just wanted to help his mother, to buy her medication for her illness and make sure she always has to eat.

Namjoon gasped softly when the gate fell to the ground, causing a loud crash after his attempt to open it. "Ah, this one needs to be fixed too. I might ask Jeonggukie to help me out." Namjoon spoke silently and jumped over the gate before pulling it up and placing it against the concrete fence.

Namjoon walked inside the house and was immediately met with his mother standing in the hallway and giving him a worried look.

"Don't worry, mum. The gate fell, it's not a big deal. I'll ask Jeongguk to help me fix it tomorrow, okay?" Namjoon asked. Mrs. Kim sighed and nodded, already feeling too stressed out to put her son through so much at such young age. "Why aren't you in bed?"

"I was in bed, but then I've heard the noise and had to see what was going on. Thought it was those burglars again." She mumbled into Namjoon's shoulder. Namjoon removed one arm but kept the other around her to help her walk to the bed. After she successfully sat down, Namjoon placed the paper bag on the table and opened it. "You are going to love these so much. There are strawberries too. Your favorite."

"Yoongi?" She asked. Namjoon nodded. He stood up and took his bag off his shoulder. He put it on the chair and went back to sit beside her. "I want you to eat all of it." Namjoon said.

"How about you?"

"I already ate."

Namjoon wasn't lying now. He did eat back in the restaurant for his break meal. Although it was a few hours ago, he wasn't hungry that much.

"You always say you already ate. I'm starting to get suspicious about it. You need to take a few bites or else I won't eat at all. There are two anyways." Mrs. Kim protested. Namjoon chuckled. After giving him another glare, she dug in, her eyes going wide at the taste.

Namjoon stayed with her for another half an hour before he took a shower and went to his room. He didn't have any exams tomorrow so he figured he would be able to sleep tonight.

~

How do you like this so far? Every comment is appreciated!