41 Number One Party Anthem - Epilogue

Call off the search for your soul

Or put it on hold again

And that was the whole story. That's where our little adventure ended if that's what you could call it. The next two years... well, they were more or less exciting in their own way. I missed UA a lot. But I knew that not everyone did. As far as I know, everyone else kind of found their way somehow.

We never actually met up again. We had said that we would at some point, but it just seemed wrong any time it came up. I still kept in contact with some of them, just because I wanted to know how they were getting on. And it seemed like everyone was doing pretty good.

Saki had somehow convinced her parents to sponsor medical school for Chie and they were just about to move in together, now that they were finishing up high school. They would both go to the same university and while Chie would study medicine, Saki was about to go into some sort of design.

And I honestly could see her there, because she always had a good eye for things like that. Her outfits had always been on point and so was her dorm room at UA. She would do well, I was pretty sure.

I wouldn't have heard a lot from Mitsuo, if it hadn't been for Keiko. Keiko had told me of their weird marriage pact they had going on and I honestly wasn't a fan of it, but... well, it kind of looked like they were actually getting more comfortable around each other. Or that was at least what Keiko was telling herself as she was about to continue with the same mistakes her mother had made.

It was kind of a sad story, if I was being honest. But yeah, Keiko was doing well at her new school and everything, but she kept in contact with Mitsuo all the time. Half the time they were fighting, the other half they were planning their new life together. Keiko was going to study business, so she could take over her parents' company once she was done and Mitsuo...

Well, Mitsuo was still busy with his stocks, but from the money he had made he was starting to build up some chains of night clubs. Keiko said there was nothing illegal going on there, but I knew when she was lying. And she was definitely lying about that. Plus, there was no way that Mitsuo would have just given up a lucrative source of income like that. No fucking way.

But unfortunately, that was Mitsuo's and Keiko's decision and I wasn't about to get involved in that. Keiko seemed happy enough to ignore his lies and Mitsuo seemed happy enough to be putting up with Keiko for the rest of his life. I knew that Keiko would hate all this in a few years. But of course right now she didn't want to listen and I couldn't be bothered to try and explain it to her over and over again. So I had to let her be miserable. She wouldn't learn otherwise.

And as for me? I kept in touch with Hitoshi all those years. It took maybe about a year until we decided we'd be back together. He was going to the hero course and he was loving it. And I had switched from my school's management course to General Studies, so I could do what I really wanted to do - History.

I had always loved History and I never knew why it hadn't occurred to me that I could become a Historian. But here I was, far away from everyone and one day it just dawned on me that I could go to college and study whatever I wanted and no one would be able to stop me. So that was the plan - Hitoshi and I would move into a cheap apartment together, he'd be doing hero work while I had a part-time job and would be studying History. And then we'd see where we'd go from there.

Considering all the terrible things I had done, I was starting to feel like life was actually pretty good to me. But right now, there was no more time for me to be writing more stuff down. And there wasn't anything else to tell, anyway. I was already late for dinner with Hitoshi and I knew he hated it when I was late...