40 Maybe Later

Forty-five dates, I'm on the road

And you know I always sell out the show

Mitsuo looked outside the window of his room one last time. It felt weird to pack up his things and leave the school not because he was finished with high school, but because he was being expelled. He wasn't sure if he was happy about it or not. It didn't really make that much of a difference to him.

Thankfully they were sending him far away, all the way up north to Hokkaido. He could easily go and build his new little side business up there and no one would probably have heard of him. He would stick to himself, maybe get one other person in on it. Maximum one other person.

He could do this again. He could build all of this again on his own and go through with it properly this time. Maybe he could file this away as a learning experience and do better next time. He'd get back there, no problem. Especially since he didn't have to hand in that much money.

Buying those stocks was probably the best idea in his entire life, because it meant that he still had all his money that he made from the drugs, but the police didn't confiscate it. They only confiscated what they had lying around in cash, which meant that everyone who had bought a lot of useless expensive shit with the money was well off. And Azami... well, Azami was the big loser in this.

Or maybe Yori was the bigger loser, after all Azami was still alive and Yori... well, Yori wasn't. Mitsuo had just about managed to get out of this whole thing, but he was happy that he had managed not to get suspected for snitching on Yori planning to snitch. He could have gotten in a whole lot of shit for that, but he didn't. Because he could keep his mouth shut, unlike Azami.

It was still weird how everything had happened after that night. Hitoshi, Keiko and Azami were hauled off to a hospital. Keiko woke up the next morning with a severe headache and sore muscles and feeling like she had been run over by a truck apparently. But apart from dehydration and some severe exhaustion she was apparently fine. Which was hard to believe when her eyes had been bleeding, but well. Mitsuo was kind of glad that she was okay.

Azami was in shock and had a few scratch wounds. Her nose miraculously wasn't broken and she also had no concussion, which was strange after she had hit the ground like that twice in a short time. She was still a bit traumatized from the entire thing, which probably was normal. Not like Mitsuo could really understand it, but apparently people did get traumatized when they were being held hostage with a knife to their throats and stuff like that.

Hitoshi apparently had the worst injuries, because he got shot in the shoulder. The fact that he still took care of Azami like that afterwards was probably the funniest thing about this whole operation. At least to Mitsuo. He really didn't get how Hitoshi was simping so hard for Azami.

But well, there were a lot of things he didn't understand when it came to people and feelings and whatever. And he didn't particularly want to understand them, because... well, to him they were all just very troublesome things that he was glad he didn't have to deal with. He'd never have gotten this far if he had felt actually guilty about anything. He'd have been a total joke.

Anyway, it was all over now. Everyone was going off to different schools. Saki was staying in the general area and she was pretty happy about it, even though no one really knew if that was because she was happy to stay close to Chie or to stay close to Aizawa. And Mitsuo wasn't sure if he wanted to know. And it wasn't like he really cared all that much anyway, if he was honest.