𝐢𝐱. THE CHOPPING BLOCK

▬▬▬▬▬ CHAPTER NINE ▬▬▬▬▬

I JUST FINISHED MY HORRIBLE SPEECH FROM MY ORAL COMM CLASS AND I STILL HAVEN'T RECOVERED FROM THAT DISASTER, SO ENJOY THE CHAPTER WHILE I CRY TO MYSELF 😭 😭 😭

THINGS ONLY STARTED GOING BACK to normal around October. The sick students and professors had recovered, some with minor consequences of the dragon pox like scars and others with more dire after effects like lung issues. Rumor had it that Cormac may have been given a penectomy, but then again, rumors were rarely ever true. It didn't matter though, because news announced that Cormac would have to stay at St. Mungos for an 'indefinite amount of time'. 

The professors, Snape and Umbridge, were the last to come back and that was because they suffered from severe pneumonia due to the dragon pox. However, once they returned, classes went back to normal. 

But that was fine because at that point, Esmerelda had gotten back her previous joy. Walking around Hogwarts didn't feel so oppressive to her anymore now that people had stopped talking about her. She felt happier, relaxed, and more confident in herself as well. Even better was that she had stopped having magical accidents. 

"I was hoping Umbridge would stay away longer," Harry sighed sadly as they sat out in the courtyard after breakfast. "I liked not having to go to her for detention."

"Aren't you done with your detentions though?" Esmerelda asked. 

"Well yeah, but she's probably going to give me more anyways." He pointed out. 

"True." 

"I found it!" Hermione suddenly exclaimed. "The article Percy told you about in his last letter. Look what it says." 

Esmerelda slipped on her reading glasses before joining them. The headline caught their attention:

MINISTRY SEEKS EDUCATIONAL REFORMDOLORES UMBRIDGE APPOINTED FIRST-EVER "HIGH INQUISITOR"

"'High Inquisitor'?" Harry said darkly. "What does that mean?"

In a surprise move last night the Ministry of Magic passed new legislation giving itself an unprecedented level of control at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

"The Minister has been growing uneasy about goings-on at Hogwarts for some time," said Junior Assistant to the Minister, Percy Weasley. "He is now responding to concerns voiced by anxious parents, who feel the school may be moving in a direction they do not approve."

This is not the first time in recent weeks Fudge has used new laws to effect improvements at the Wizarding school. As recently as August 30th Educational Decree Twenty-two was passed, to ensure that, in the event of the current headmaster being unable to provide a candidate for a teaching post, the Ministry should select an appropriate person.