𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐱. LAW AND ORDER

▬▬▬ CHAPTER THIRTY NINE ▬▬▬

ONE MORE CHAPTER LEFTTTT!!!

BY THE WAY... I have no idea how law works, but then again, this is wizarding law so it probably isn't gonna be anything like what happens in a courtroom in real life either way (plus, I watched way too many dramatic court scenes on youtube and I know they're inaccurate af. I'm sorry, I was too entertained)

Also... do any of you know any Ethan fics I can read 🥺 (lol I was gonna ask for Essie fics but then I remembered my babie is not a canon character 😔)

LOOKING THROUGH ESMERELDA'S MIND WAS... traumatic, to say the least and that was coming from him, Regulus Black, sociopathic ex-Death Eater with a closet full skeletons. No offense to his daughter of course, but dear Merlin was she fucked up. Or at least, her life was.

Her earlier years were muddled so he left those alone until he came across the time where she reached Camp Half-Blood and was finally introduced into the demigod life. Things became clearer then. He saw flashes of her siblings before they died, of her friends, and of Ethan. He could sense genuine joy coming from her before he was struck by an intense sort of pain. The memories began to bleed red as Esmerelda's life started falling more and more into despair and bloodshed.

Years of abandonment accumulating from all the time her foster parents couldn't handle her only worsened the betrayal she felt when her siblings and Ethan abandoned her too. Then came all the fighting, the killing, the war, and the new arrival of her Roman half-brother, Étienne, who turned out to be just as broken as her, if not more. Her life was honestly a complete disaster. Every horrible event had ruthlessly chipped down at her psyche until there was barely anything left but the few strings holding her together.

But Regulus couldn't help but be stunned at how... idealistic she was. Everything was such a rosy picture to her when it came to the people she loved. Sometimes she would purposely turn a blind eye to their faults, more than happy to deny it as long as her perfect little world wasn't shattered any more than it already was. Other times,  she was genuinely just oblivious to it.

He was pretty sure the only thing keeping her from having a complete catastrophic breakdown was that perfect little world of hers that she conjured up in her pretty little head. As long as that stayed intact, as long as nobody tried to force her to see the truth, she would continue to function on as normally as she could.

Through it all, he couldn't exactly pinpoint when she decided to put on her rose-colored glasses, but he knew enough to pinpoint why she was the way she was now. Trauma ruined people. For him, it made him put people at a distance, made him more wary of his surroundings, but for her it was different. She didn't push them away, she clung on to them instead because of trauma.