Chapter 25: A Life for a Life

"Call the Hokage!" The Jonin ordered as he saw them approach.

The Jonin slammed the door open. Konohamaru, shikamaru, and Sasuke stared at the Jonin. "They have arrived but someone is dead."

Sasuke immediately disappeared along with Konohamaru.

They reappeared at the entrance of the gate. Shikamaru ran towards itachi who carried Temari.

"Temari" he said and took her in his arms. He let out a sigh of relieve as he saw she was alive. His gaze fell on the body Kenzo held.

"Sakura" Sasuke mumbled as he fell to his knees to get a good look at her in Kenzo's arms.

"I couldn't protect her" Sasuke looked up to look at his son. Sasuke felt his eyes widened as he saw his sharingan.

The Mangekyo sharingan, he activated it.

Sasuke caught Kenzo and Sakura at the exact moment as Kenzo passed out from exhaustion.

Itachi took Kenzo's body, "I'll take him to the hospital."

Sasuke didn't bother to look at him, his gaze was focused on his wife. He slowly fixed her body in his arms.

"Sakura-Chan" he mumbled and placed her head close to his mouth. "Sakura."

"Sakura!" Tseunade yelled as she ran. The other ninjas followed behind her as the news had spread that a ninja had fallen.

Sasuke held her body even tighter as they gathered around them. "Move." He snapped and walked away.

He laid her body in the middle of the woods. He sat besides her body taking in her appearance. He walked close to the river and wet a piece of clothe.

Sasuke begun to slowly clean her face, hands, and arms. He brushed her hair softly with his fingers. A tear slipped as he finished fixing her.

"Sakura"

My wife.

To Sasuke it was as if time had stopped. A feeling he hasn't felt in many years came back. The same feeling he felt at seeing his parents dead bodies.

"Sakura, I needed to tell you something."

He slowly held her hand in his. His mangekyo sharingan was activated in his eye.

"What will you tell her?" Tseunade asked.

Tseunade had followed him and seen his actions towards her.

Sasuke stared at Tseunade. He looked back down towards Sakura, "that I love her. I didn't get to tell her before."

Tseunade go on her knees besides Sakura, "you better tell her and make it up to her for all those years."

Tseunade put her palm on Sakuras chest and then in hers as her hand glowed green.

"What are you doing?" Sasuke asked.

"This is the last jutsu I have learnd and it'll also be the last one I perform."

Sasuke then understood what she was doing. He knew he was selfish for not stopping her.

All he could do was say, "Thank you."

Tseunade continued the motion, "I have nothing left here. My little brother died, my love died, Jirayah died, Naruto also died, and Shizune also. Now I have also lost Sakura. She has more to live for then I do. I'll gladly give my life for her."

Sakura opened her eyes. Tseunade smiled at her and fell back.

"Tseunade-sama!" She yelled and was about to try to heal her. Sasuke put his hand on her wrist stopping her.

"It's no use" Sakura burst out crying.

"Why did you let her!" She threw a punch at his chest and he wrapped his arms around her preventing her from hitting him anymore. She struggled against him but soon gave up and cried.

A week later they held a funeral. Sakura and Sasuke walked home together.

"Sakura I need to talk to you" Sasuke said.

Sakura smiled at him, "I need to talk to you too."

They entered the house and sat at the table. "I would like to go first" Sakura said.

"Go ahead."

Sasuke found himself nervous as he would for the first time he telling her how he feels. But he also wanted for her to go first and say what she wanted to say.

"I have loved you for many years, Sasuke-kun. You have given me wonderful children that I adore. But I believe you and I no longer work well together. I think we need to put some distance between us."

Sasuke felt his heart fall, "what do you mean?"

"I think we should get a divorce."

"Sakura-"

"This marriage was forced and it's my fault. You felt guilty and that's why you married me. I was happy but I realize now that I was selfish. I loved you but you've never loved me like I do. The love you have for me is one of a comrade. It's time I let you go. That way we can both find happiness."

"Sakura, I l-lo" Sasuke was cut off as his kids entered the house.

"We can still all live under the same roof as we have. We will just sleep in separate rooms. I have already talked to the kids and they understand and agree."

Sakura stood up, Kato and Sarada following behind her.

Kenzo stayed behind and looked at his father. Kenzo silently gasped as he saw a tear slide down his dads face.

"Dad" Kenzo spoke. Sasuke looked at his son, "I'm sorry."

Sasuke was shocked at his sons words but felt a warmth spread on his chest.

"I'm sorry for everything." Sasuke didn't expect for his son to apologize to him, not after their last conversation.

Kenzo begun to walk outside but stopped at the door, "you should get cleaned up. If you plan on getting mom back you'll need to look your best not like a gothic hobo."

Sasuke gasped at his sons words. He wanted to scowl him for being rude but he found himself also happy at his words.

Kenzo walked out and went to find Itachi. As he found Itachi near Hayami-sensei's apartment he stood besides him.

"You saw what I did."

Kenzo nodded, "I understand now."

"Good"

"I need your help." Itachi glanced at Kenzo curiously. "I need to become stronger. The next time I am face to face to him I want to be prepared. Teach me, please." Kenzo bowed.

"We have a lot of work ahead of us. I won't go as easy as Hayami goes on you."

Kenzo stood up straight, "you think she goes easy on us?"

He clearly hasn't seen as she beats us to a pulp and drains our chakra over and over again.

"She does physical torture. I do psychological torture. Sometimes it can be more harmful than physical."

"I will do my best" Itachi nodded at his nephew and turned his attention back to Hayami's apartment.