1

You woke up late for class.
No, you didn't wake up late. You woke up exactly an hour before the classes began but you decided to not attend them.

You were tired of being in this place. It was full of people that you didn't like. And nobody liked you either. It was a competition. Everyone was praying on each other's downfall.

You walked the empty halls of Wammy's Orphanage and School for the gifted. Why you were here and your real name was information between you and your file.

"Silence," you turned around as your Wammy's name, aka fake name, was called out.

"Mr. Roger!" You almost dropped the slice of toast you had been eating. You quickly tried to think of a lie to tell him so he won't get upset with you for not being in class.

"Silence, I need to have a word with you in my office." He interrupted you.

You nodded and followed him back to his office. Was he going to get mad at you? You wondered feeling nervous.

"Silence, are you aware of the Kira investigation going on at this moment?" Roger sat on his desk and you stood in front of his desk awkwardly.

"Yes," you mumbled as you occasionally looked back at his office's door. You didn't want to be here anymore.

"L is the one who is in charge of that investigation," Roger continued.

You stopped yourself from rolling your eyes. Was this going to turn into some type of motivational speech because you weren't competitive in the classroom.
You weren't even competent in the classroom. You hated being a backup machine for L himself and his successors.

"L has chosen you to help him." Roger's words took you by surprised and you began to feel lightheaded.

"Me? Are you sure he doesn't want Near or that other guy- I forgot his name- to help him?" You were shock.

"L has chosen you specifically. His motives behind his decision are beyond my knowledge."

"And if I refuse?" You weren't planning on risking your life in the Kira case! You didn't even want to be in this place competing with others. Your grades said it all.

"It wasn't an option. You have to help him. He is L."

You rolled your eyes.
Of course you didn't have a choice. You had to help, because L wants you to help. You have to help L because people in this orphanage/school are killing themselves and each other to have your place.