12

L sat on his chair waiting for you. If he had known that you would have bumped to his other two successors, he wouldn't have allowed you to go for a walk outside.

Instead, he watched through the cameras he had installed on the light posts how you coincidentally met with Matt and Mello and how they took you to an abandoned alleyway. Away from the cameras. L didn't know what you spoke to them about and that bothered him. Now he would have to wait for Matsuda to bring you back.

"Ryuzaki!" Just in time you walked in. But he wasn't happy to see you like he usually was. There was a cloud of tension following you, and he hated when you didn't refer to him as L.

"Hello Ms. Y/N. I was worried that something might had happened to you," L said. His eyes staring at the computer screen in front of him.

"Ryuzaki, we need to talk," you sounded stressed.

"Of course," he finally looked at you and motioned for you to sit in the empty chair next to him.

You took a deep breath and sat next to him.

"When I was walking today I accidentally bumped into two of my classmates from Wammy's. They told me something that is very unsettling to me," you began while L's eyes were still on the computer screen in front of him.

"What did they tell you Ms. Y/N?" L asked after you paused for a few seconds.

"They told me that everyone thinks that I am missing. In fact, they think I'm dead!"

"Dead? Why would anyone think that. You're very much alive," L commented in his usual monotone voice.

"I know! I thought you had told Roger about my situation....that the police are looking for me."

L finally looked at you. His dark eyes burning into your soul. "Ms. Y/N, of course I told Roger about your situation. However, if he had to lie in order to keep your situation hidden from the rest of the students." L paused to try to analyze your expression. "Then that is beyond my control."

"But Mello and Matt said-"

"Mello and Matt? You mean the two boys that are top three to succeed me?" L interrupted you and you nodded.

"Y/N, you are aware that you come from a very competitive school, right? And you are also aware that I chose you to help me with the case and not my top three successors. Anyone would try to manipulate you so that you can drop the case," L paused again. "And take your place."

L watched you begin to doubt yourself. Looking almost embarrassed for having brought up what Mello and Matt had told you. Someone who didn't even trust their own deductions was easy to manipulate. You didn't trust your own deductions.

You placed your head on L's shoulders wanting to cry. You never got along with Matt and Mello but for them to lie to you about such horrible things....that was awful. So unlike them.
You began to feel L rub your back. Maybe as an attempt to comfort you, but that all abruptly stopped as the front door loudly opened and closed.

You turned around and saw Light Yagami entering the room.