15) Life Back Home

"That little prick!" Aliyah's dad bellowed. "She managed to get away!"

"Don't worry, Clarence." Aliyah's mom comforted him. "We'll get her back soon."

"Tell me how, Edna! How?!"

Edna started crying. "Have we gone too far?"

"What do you mean?!" Clarence stifled his cries.

"I believe that we've been too hard on Aliyah." She buried her face in her frail hands.

"Been too hard?!" Clarence balled his fists. "We gave that little bitch everything she needed!"

"You don't understand," Edna cried. "We don't understand her."

Clarence remained silent as Edna talked.

"She has problems with school, home, and even with herself!" She tried her best to get the words out. "We're lucky she didn't die despite all those times she tried to take her life away!"

Confusion was painted on Clarence face. "Take her life away?"

"Can't you see? She has no one to run to! We weren't there for her! She doesn't trust us! She feels like she doesn't belong in this family anymore!"

"I-I-I...."

"We lost a daughter, Clarence....our only daughter."

Anger seemed to fill his heart once more. Aliyah thinks I'm harsh?!
She thinks I'm the one who's wrong?!
She thinks that she could just run away like that?!
She thinks she could handle herself?!

"I'm gonna get her back," Clarence said through his clenched teeth. "And I'm gonna show her how much pain and trouble she caused."