34) Wake Me Up When September Ends

BILLIE'S POV
We're all backstage, getting ready for the big lights.

I still can't get Aliyah out of my head. We like...formed a bond that can never be broken, what ever happens.

"Billie!" Tre called out, snapping me out of my reverie. "Let's go."

"Okay," I said feebly.

Tre comforted me and patted me on the shoulder. "Billie, I know it hurts but..."

I hung my head and he trailed off.

Mike joined in. "Billie, everything's gonna be alright."

"How would you know?" I felt bad for giving him an unpleasant tone.

"Because...everything will be okay."

I was about to snap something back at him when a guy said that we're good to go.

I took a deep breath. "Let's get this over with."

I ran up to the stage with a huge, fake, smile on my face. The people cheered.
They have no idea that I was crying inside.

***

By the time we're gonna perform 'Wake Me Up When September Ends', I thought about the two most valuable people that I've lost.
I thought about my dad. I lost him on a September...
...and now, I lost Aliyah.
On a September, too.

I wasn't aware that I was thinking out loud, "why does September have to take away the people I love?" Tears streamed down my cheeks.
"Why do you have to go, Aliyah?! I'm sorry I wasn't able to protect you...you're supposed to be here." The crowd didn't make a sound.
"I wish you were here...I wish...I wish somebody would wake me up when september ends..."

My voice quavered as I sang the first verse. I didn't care if I sound bad...I can't hold it in anymore.

Nobody sang along with me. The lights shone along their sympathetic faces.

Then...I heard a voice sing.