39. Identity

Location: West Gable wing of Maranzano Family manor, Seoul.

Donghae walked along the long corridor silently. Once in a while gazing up at the ceiling on which dust have gathered through decades of pure neglect. This part of the Maranzano manor was completely different, stranger, colder and more silent than all the other parts of the house which he usually knew , with glory being etched on even the black and white checked floor tiles.. but here, all the dark and closed up side of the Maranzano dynasty was on full naked display...

A mellow, weak light entered the dark corridor through the single framed window behind him. Donghae could hear his own footsteps echoing loudly on the red and black terrazzo tiled floor, his silent shadow stretched ahead of him. It looked nervous just as he was. On either side of him there were closed doors no doubt leading to guest rooms which were abandoned over years. Because of one thing that everybody knew: Jake Maranzano never allowed guests.

He had watched till Jake had fallen asleep. His head resting on the huge mahogany work table, which he often does these days. Donghae felt guilty for leaving him like that. But it's been five days worth of waiting for Donghae, and each day, Tanaka lost his strength a little more.

He had been feeling wreaked ever since Tanaka entered this place. Hearing his story had changed everything for Donghae. Making two things deadly clear to him, first that Jake didn't have the Luciano Family Jade pendant with him, and the fact that he was clearly after it too, thinking that it's rightfully a Maranzano relic...

He felt frustration snake down his body. Why did that idiot of a man break into the Falcons of all places he could go to? If he hadn't come here, Jake wouldn't have known about the pendant's existence!

'And who the hell called Jake that day? And how does he know LaVerè?' wondered Donghae to himself, abruptly standing infront of the heavy bolted door.

Two burly expressionless guards stood in dead silence on either side of the door, with their weapons pointed to the ground. Both of them looked up as Donghae approached, eyeing him, and through him in silence as Donghae tried hard not to show that he was scared. After a quick check and recognizing him as their Boss's personal bodyguard, they stepped aside with their heads bowed in respect.

"I need a few minutes alone" command Donghae steadily, while trying not to loosen his grip on the keys that he was holding so tightly

"si signore" they both rumbled simultaneously in low voices, and immediately started walking away.

Donghae took a huge calming breath once the guards were out of earshot.

He knew Tanaka had refused to answer the questions that Luca had been throwing at him everyday, Jake's own rising edginess showed him how much he longed to kill Tanaka but was merely holding himself just for the tiny reason that this man knew where to find the lost pendant...

Donghae carefully slid the key into the huge rusty old lock, having found the key from Luca's personal closet. Knowing fully well that he was yet again risking his life for CN, and hoping feverishly that the old man was still in one whole piece, Donghae slid open the lock and entered the room...

**************

It was dark and musty inside with one circular edged window positioned high above the ceiling, through which a straight orange beam of afternoon sunlight cast itself on the opposite wall. At first glance the room seemed to be abandoned; but distorted little sun rays fell on the surfaces of things that made Donghae's blood run cold. They illuminated along rusty iron chains which dangled down right from the high ceilings, various weapon were lying on the floor. As Donghae brushed his eyes along the wall, faded brown imprints that was sure to be blood gawped at him from the walls... Finally Donghae's eyes fell on the feeble figure sitting on the bed.