43. For Love

The pitch blackness around them on the road was occasionally broken by vague yellow lamp light, falling on big Oak leaves at equal intervals. Other than that, the powerful headlights of the Land Rover were directly falling on the road; showing only a few yards ahead of them through a light night fog. Donghae's eyes were fixed on the short white lines on the middle of the road that kept whizzing backwards as they drove on.

It was almost 2.15 in the morning. After the chaotic celebration for breaking through Gray's people, everyone had fallen quiet; Apollo being the last to shut up, until he had given himself the opportunity to silently swoon about the beauty of the Range Rover. For that, Donghae was grateful. He raised his eyes over to the silvery skyline ahead of him, where distant blobs of tall bright lights of the urbanized area of Toyonaka started materializing through the veil like fog.

Glancing across, Donghae realized that Jake had fallen asleep, with his midnight hair feathered in front of his forehead; his ash stained fingers clutching the AK-300 close to his chest which kept rising and falling in a gentle rhythm. His eyelids fluttered as if he was dreaming, showing a tint of sea storm colour through dark long eyelashes. Donghae quickly tore his eyes away from Jake, concentrating on the road again.

"You like him don't you?"

Donghae froze, his heart hammering against his ribs, he looked up at the rear mirror to see Hisui staring at him with his arms crossed, his lips stretched into a smile. Apollo was snoring away next to him.

"What?!"

"You" said Hisui again, in calm voice, "I can see how you look at him. And Jake keeps looking at you too, when you don't notice"

Donghae snorted, though his body felt like it was being dipped in ice cold water. He gripped the steering wheel hard unconsciously.

"Thank you for the observation" he snapped while Hisui let out a gentle chuckle.

"Believe me" said Hisui looking amused but sad at the same time, "I know how you feel, because I've been through that"

Donghae stayed silent, suddenly he took a sharp turn and moved the vehicle down a battered side track. Finally they came to a stop and Donghae parked the jeep under a low bridge that ran across the road they were following earlier. After turning off the ignition key, Donghae slumped down on the driving seat and took of the seat belt, feeling his lead like arms ache with constant driving. The stillness woke Hyukjae who took a deep breath and opened his eyes which shone dark blue at the dim light. He looked around for a moment and stopped at Donghae.

"Where are we?" he groaned with a sleep deprived husky voice. Suddenly Jake sat up and whirled around, staring at the wide eyed Hisui and at Apollo who was still sleeping peacefully.

"Why are they still here!?" He demanded while Hisui let out an outraged snort,

"Why?" Scoffed Hisui, "thought of flinging us through the window?"

"I dreamed of doing that" shot Jake casually with an evil smile, he pointed at Apollo, who gave a huge snore, "especially him"

"Jake" said Donghae lightly and Hyukjae immediately turned to look at him "Calm down"

Jake huffed and turned back to glare at Hisui. Once he was satisfied, Jake fumble the door open and got out. Donghae heaved a sigh and turned to Hisui.

"Come out" he ordered, not unkindly, and Hisui gave a single nod and slid down from the back.

Jake was standing near the edge of the bank, lightly holding the gleaming pistol in his hand. He looked up when both Hisui and Donghae came and stood silently infront of him. Without a word, he cocked the gun and pointed it at Hisui's chest.