Ch.2: Opportunity

When she stepped into the shop, Siyeon was blown away with the smell of lavender. She never smelled so much of it in her life. She started to take in more of her surroundings as she got used to the smell. On the shelf along the store front window lies crystals and gemstones of many shapes and sizes in a variety of colors. The beauty of them is something that would draw people into the store. As Siyeon looks at the crystals, she reads the labels of what they each represent and what they can help manifest. From what she read, there were crystals and gemstones for healing, protection, intuition, success and many more.

She picks up the gemstone for success. It is a smooth dark green jade that's small enough to fit into the palm of her hand. It's well known that Jade is supposed to bring good luck to those who have it. She kept it in her hand as she looked through the rest of the store.

In one aisle, she sees many types of insense. In another are different kinds of books to help people better their lives. At the end of the aisle, she spots a section of a variety of pamphlets. On them are the information of meditation classes in various places. Nearby there is also an advertisement for some sort of spiritual fair coming up in a few weeks. "Never knew those existed." Siyeon tells herself.

Lily spots her looking at the pamphlets and walks toward her. "Thinking about going to it?"

"Ah! Lily, you scared me. Don't sneak up on me like that!"

Lily chuckles a bit, "I'm sorry. I just came back from checking on my inventory and noticed you over here. I didn't want to be too loud just in case you're still reading." When she startled Siyeon, she noticed the jade in her hand. "I see you had a liking to one of our stones. Trying to get good luck in the future?"

"Oh! I forgot I had this. Um, here you go." Siyeon says as she hands over the rock. She lied about forgetting about it. She didn't know why, but she had a connection with this rock. Maybe she subconsciously believed in all of this and wanted at least a bit of good luck in her life or maybe she just liked how it looked.

"Keep it. It seems you like it anyways. Consider it a gift from me." Lily responded not buying what Siyeon said. "What brings you here today?"

"I thought I could pay you a visit. Plus, my curiosity was eating at me wanting to know what a shop like this was like. It's pretty calming."

"That's the kind of environment I strive for here. Glad to see it's effective." Lily smiled. She looked over at the boxes she still had to put back in storage. She suddenly thought of something. "Hey, I have an idea! I run this place myself and I could use some extra hands to help. If you like it here, I could offer you a job. You don't need to have any experience with the spiritual practice. I would just have you do things like inventory, putting things in the back room, and accepting deliveries. Things like that. So, what do you say?"

Siyeon didn't enjoy pickpocketing. She was only doing to survive. If there was a legal opportunity to make money, then this would be it. Plus, this would be a more consistent way to make cash. This might be the opportunity she needs to get herself back on her feet. "That's great! Of course I'll take the job. Thank you!"

"All right. You start tomorrow morning at 8. Don't be late."