Ch. 56: A Shot in the Dark

"Wolf to Panda, do you copy?" Dami could faintly hear her from her whispering. She had to turn up the volume on the interface to be able to hear her.

"I copy. What's the problem? Are you in a high alert area?"

"Not really. We ran into a hiccup on the way to the door. One of the pins came out of the suit and we had to do an emergency trip to the bathrooms. The situation's all fixed though thanks to Queen."

"No wonder I didn't see you in position yet. Thanks for letting me know before we think of the worst. Panda out."

"What happened?" Jiu asked. She was stationed in the van with her. With all the tech around her, she had to sit awkwardly. It was even a miracle that everything fit in the vehicle in the first place.

"Wardrobe malfunction. Siyeon lost a pin. Sua was able to fix it. Hopefully, that's the worst of our problems."

"If you say it like that, we're sure to be jinxed."

"We're fine. I don't believe in that kind of thing anyway. Let's just stay focused."

The van was silent from time to time. The atmosphere was filled with awkwardness, mostly on Jiu's end though. She wasn't used to it, while Dami thrived in it, being a generally quiet person herself. It didn't help that they didn't know each other for very long. That silence would soon be broken.

"Shit!" Dami suddenly said, startling Jiu.

"What's wrong?! Did they get caught?"

"No, but they will be if the guards are able to communicate with each other. Our jammers don't affect certain high-tech earpieces. Look at this screen here." Dami pointed to one of the monitors in the middle. "Do you notice how the guards are putting one of their hands to their ears? It seems like their's is working still. Taehyung just had to invest in those kinds! It was one thing to get the cameras. It's another thing to jam something like that."

"Is it impossible to do?"

"Practically is at this point. We were only able to get the cameras because you directly interfered with them when you put the bigger jammer on there. There are only two options now. 1) We try to get access to the security room again. We were lucky that we had you be able to go back there once. But twice? They'd start to get suspicious fast. What other thing would you need back there? Someone in the area will know something's up. And option 2) We get ahold of one of their earpieces. That might be a little too tough of a pickpocket job for Siyeon. The only other way to do this is if you still have yours and it's somehow the same kind. We have a very small chance that they didn't think to change them. Otherwise, we're screwed."

"But I do. Hold on, it might still be in my bag. I never emptied it out. Maybe it's the right kind, but I can't tell."

"What?! Really?" Dami asked in surprise. "Wait, you brought your bag with you? Who brings their purse to a heist?"

"No one said I couldn't! And you should be relieved for something that'll possibly save the mission."

"Who said I wasn't. I was just messing with you. Hopefully, it's in there and hopefully, it's the right one."

After an intense search in her bag, she started to pull something out. "Found it!" She shouted, holding the small device over her head in victory.

"Great! Let's have a look!" Jiu handed her the earpiece as Dami started to look at it carefully, looking over every detail. "Holy shit! I guess this wasn't Taehyung's doing. You'd think he'd change more than just the employees." Dami started to grab a wire to attach to the earpiece. While watching her do this, Jiu couldn't understand what it was for. It didn't seem like it could work like a flash drive, but to her surprise, Dami was able to pull up information about the device on one of the many screens in the van and typed away. "Let me just apply its software to the program and send out a signal. And then, boom! They won't be able to talk to each other." Dami proudly explained her plan.