Ch. 41: Breakthrough

It was closing time at the shop and Lily thought it was a good time to look into Siyeon's curse. She's been doing it once in a while during her free time. Although she didn't believe in these kinds of things, Siyeon was distressed and she would do anything to help her friend out. It surprised Siyeon at first that she didn't believe in the supernatural, especially with what she does. She considered spirituality and the supernatural differently. While her interpretation of spirituality is focused on improving the inner spirit and having the tools to connect with nature, the supernatural is focused on outside forces directly interfering with the laws of nature. Lily has heard many supernatural cases in her days. Some of which, Lily thought was hard to believe. Ironic really, since people would think the same of her practice. She had to set her bias aside to help Siyeon find her answer, whether it itself is actually supernatural, or something that could be easily explained.

She usually wasn't able to find much beyond the things that Siyeon found. It was like that every time she searched. She was about to take a break when she came across a blog. Lily didn't acknowledge it before, since blogs aren't usually a reliable source, but she didn't have much of a choice and the blurb that was below the search result seemed promising enough.

She saw that the blog was written by a historian looking back on an ancient, unknown to most, civilization. She scrolled down to the comments to see what other people thought of it. Most of them dismissed this person as a loon. Lily was curious to know why as she started to read from the beginning. It was a tale about how a curse eventually brought the civilization to its demise and what became of the cursed object today. The article started to grab her attention as Lily's eyes started to widen. This could be their best shot. She quickly tried to find the historian's contact information and emailed her. Now, all she could do was wait.

***

A couple days later, Siyeon was working at the store with her. She didn't really need her help that day, but she needed her there for the little surprise she had after the store was empty. "Hey Siyeon, are you free?"

"Yeah, what's up?" Siyeon's head perked up, taking focus away from the box that she was sorting through.

"It's about the curse. I need you to read this." Lily showed her the blog on her phone. "She might actually have the answers you're looking for."

Siyeon walked over to Lily and her reaction quickly grew to surprise as she read. "Where did you find this?! This is exactly what we need! I thought I was going crazy, but now we might actually have proof!"

"I don't really know if it's proof yet. She's been disgraced in the historical field. I don't know if she's the most trustworthy, but she's the best thing we've got."

"Wait, disgraced? Why?"

"For this whole thing. She claimed that this one civilization existed, but she didn't have the most solitary proof. She's considered a laughing stock in her field."

"Oh. I feel bad for her. We should contact her anyways. She might actually be right about this. We need to hear her out."

"Two steps ahead of you! Now, read this." Lily showed her the email she sent to the historian and the reply she sent back.

"I'm sorry, what?! She's coming here tonight?!"

"I figured you wanted to talk to her if I brought this up, so I saved us some time and contacted her. She was very interested in our case and wanted to talk with us."

"But I didn't get time to organize my thoughts yet. I have so many questions I need to have answered. I don't want to forget anything! This might be our only chance!" Siyeon started to get more anxious the more things she said.