Ch. 16: Cover Blown

Sua was completely shocked. "How did she find out? My identity wasn't even that obvious. Most of my face was still covered." She had to play it off like she had no idea what Siyeon was talking about. "Uh, what do you mean? Is this a game we're playing that I don't know about?"

"No Sua. I know you're the one who robs these places. Your smile in the footage gave it away." Sua's heart skipped a beat at Siyeon's response. She couldn't believe that she could recognize her just from her smiling. Her brain ran into an error as she tried to think of a way to smoothly get herself out of the conversation with Siyeon being none the wiser. Unfortunately for her, nothing came out of her mouth, making it all the more obvious that Siyeon was right.

"I need a more consistent job. Sure, I have Lily's place, but that's not enough to help out Yoohyeon and Jiu. Please let me do this with you. The more the merrier, right? Plus, it'll be easier when you're not doing things by yourself."

There was no point to convince her otherwise. "What's in it for me? For all I know, you have no experience. Not to be rude, but you'll be a liability."

"Well for one, I'm an experienced pickpocket. I could get things you need that you couldn't get before."

Sua was in disbelief. "What do you mean your an 'experienced pickpocket'? Since when?"

"Around a couple years ago."

"Right." Sua said, not believing her at all. "Prove it to me then."

"Already did."

Confused, she checked everything over on herself. Was it her wallet? No. Sua checked through it as well. All of its contents were still in there. Was it her phone? Again, no. She always had it with her, so she would've noticed. She had no idea what she was missing until she looked at her wrists. "My watch! How?!"

Siyeon pulled out her smartwatch with a proud smirk on her face. "Magic." Sua gave her a doubtful look with a raised eyebrow. Siyeon started to clarify. "Well, more specifically, misdirection. Magicians use it all the time to move things from one place to another. It's their key ability. The same goes for pickpocketing. Get someone to focus on something less important while something that could have been seen in plain sight gets moved without them knowing. Like what I did just now. I told you to focus on my eyes as I knew you would follow since you're such a good friend. I put my hands on your hands to make it seem that I need a reassuring hand, which is partially true. It was also a good opportunity to unlatch the watch. The most normal movement, the better. When I told you my secret, I already had removed the latch and used your reaction of moving back in disbelief to get the item away from your wrist." There's a lot more that goes to pickpocketing than you think." Siyeon gave her a wink as she explained what she did. Sua didn't say a thing due to the shock of this new information. Siyeon used Sua's stunned state as an opportunity to give herself more leverage. "If you let me join you, I won't tell anyone your secret." If the pickpocketing didn't convince her, this will.

Before she could question Siyeon further about her pickpocketing, she had realized she just got blackmailed. "Oh, so it's like this now. I'm your best friend! You shouldn't be blackmailing me!"

"I'm desperate, Sua." Siyeon paused. "I really needed this. Please."

Sua saw the sadness in Siyeon's face. She knew that her friend didn't want to blackmail her, but she had no choice. She let out an audible sigh. "Alright, I'll consider it. You just have to get past my partner to join."

"Your partner?"

"Yeah. Did you think I did all this elaborate stuff myself? No. I needed my right-hand man for that."

"Who's your partner?" Siyeon asked curiously. "Could it be a boyfriend? Do they have a Bonnie and Clyde relationship?"

"She's my roommate. She's gonna be pissed that someone else knows. I just hope she understands.

"Oh, so they're roommates." Siyeon thought, surprised by the slight bit of relief she felt.Was she jealous? She didn't know. For now, she needed to know more to get rid of that weird negative feeling completely. "Are- Are you two a thing?"

Sua's face started to get red out of embarrassment. "No! No no no. We're just friends. I met her in Seoul during school." Even though Siyeon knew her real job, Sua didn't want to reveal the fact that she dropped out of college. She didn't want to disappoint her.

"Oh. So, um...when will she be back." Siyeon asked awkwardly after the response she received.

"She should be back in an hour. She went to do her own thing since I told her we'd be coming here and she didn't want to intrude. Also, give me my watch back!" Siyeon handed her her watch back. She forgot she still had it.

"I'm willing to wait. I want to be able to work with you guys as soon as possible."

"Don't plan too far ahead. We're about to face the hardest part."

———
Author's Note

Are you all ready for BEcause?! I am! I've been looking forward to it all week. The concept seems interesting from what I've read about it. Don't want to spoil anything, just in case. This would be my 3rd comeback with them and I'm so excited!

Nothing story important to update on. I just wanted to share my excitement.

Thank you for reading and see ya next week!