Cross Country

Lisa hated planes. Like if planes were a person, easily the person Lisa hated most. But here she was. Sitting on a plane next to her aunt giddily looking out the window. She was on her way to her long distance girlfriend, Roseanne's graduation in Texas. The pair knew each other since they were little and started dating in their freshmen years of high school. Everyone thought they would break up a few months later because they lived so far away. But they made it work, they met each other halfway every month just to say hi or exchange kisses.

Roseanne looked at herself in the mirror as she wore her red and black graduation gown. She fiddled with the tassels on it, she had so many "academic achievements" according to her high school that it was a given for her to have all these brightly colored tassels on her cap. She groaned before sitting down to finish getting ready for this god-awful event that she was being forced to attend. It only made it worse that Lisa couldn't be there. Her most loved one was the only one who wouldn't be attending her graduation, which made her sad.

"Oh Lisa now don't you look wonderful!" Clare, Roseanne's mom said as she saw Lisa sit down in the bleachers next to her. The brunette stunned in a white two piece with 11 clips on the side of her freshly curled hair. "Thank you." she said with a warm smile as she looked down at the field that was soon to be filled with graduates. Clare explained to her that she was the only one attending the graduation that was in Roseanne's family, she had politely invited almost everyone. Each person declined, or didn't answer at all for that matter.

Roseanne's father had passed away the year before. That side of the family cut off all ties with the Parks. The blonde held on to the tiny shred of hope that one of her cousins would be there. Or her aunt. She had told Lisa all about her father, they met up the day after he died. Lisa held her that night, let her cry in the backseat of the car on the way back to Texas because Roseanne invited her to his funeral. She didn't tell her that her feelings didn't matter, she listened, that's all Roseanne really needed.

Lisa fidgeted nervously as she watched the class of 2021 pour out from the locker rooms. Which in her mind, was very odd. She saw Roseanne's friends, though she could only really put her finger on her few. For example, she recognized Yeri,Irene,Jisoo & her girlfriend Jennie, Ryujin & Lia. The rest, she knew their faces but drew a blank when trying to remember their names. Her eyes spotted her blonde immediately. Yeah, her blonde she's possessive of the prettiest girl in the high school. Roseanne had told her many boys had hit on her, she mentally noted their names.

            Roseanne moped as she sat in her folded chair. She didn't know why the school couldn't have spent at least a little more money to make them comfortable. Lia tapped her on the shoulder which drew her attention. "I know your bummed Lisa can't be here but we'll have tons of fun later at your party! You can even call her so she can be there virtually!" she said in a cheered whisper which made Roseanne smile. The two spaced out as they pretended to pay attention to whatever their principal was saying to their graduating class, feigning her sadness.

            Lisa was tall. She didn't need to stand on her tippy toes. Yet she still couldn't see the love of her life as she walked to the stage even with her heels on. So naturally she put her feet on the bleachers and with the help of Clare could finally see Roseanne accepting her diploma. The blonde turned and smiled at the camera before walking back to her seat as Lisa recognized Lia walking up and accepting hers next with a huge smile on her face. Before getting down she learned from her observing that Lia and Ryujin were together.

           Roseanne watched as each of her friends got up on stage after her. All of them accepting the blank piece of paper because their real ones were coming in the mail, with a huge smile on their faces at the camera. "We did it!!" Irene whisper cheered as she turned to face Roseanne. The small girl's eyes tilted up before quickly meeting hers again. Which left Roseanne confused, it's not like anyone up there was here for her. So naturally she turned around but no one was there. She frowned before smiling at Irene then watching Jisoo fall off stage.

            "That was close Lisa!" Clare said in a hushed voice. Lisa was lucky that all Roseanne's friends knew this was happening. Or else this whole surprising Roseanne at her graduation thing would've blown up right in her face. "Yeah, too close." she said back with a nervous smile. She awkwardly adjusted her dress as she waited for everyone else to finish graduating so she could just run down and scoop Roseanne into her arms. But it would be a little bit til she could do that. But Lisa didn't care, she would wait a thousand years is she had to.

             "Congratulations to the graduating class of 2021!! Please move your tassels to the left!!" The principal cheered into the microphone. Roseanne breathed shakily as she did it before she was met with a countdown. Everyone shouted with glee as they threw their caps in the air. People around her were scrambling to pick them back up & run to their families. Roseanne took her time though, sad that she didn't see the familiar blue orbs staring at her from the crowd. The only eyes she wanted on her at all for the matter. Until she heard the familiar voice behind her.

           "CONGRATULATIONS ROSIE!!" Lisa shouted as she finally stepped foot on the field. Roseanne turned around to spot the brunette in the matching white outfit with her own standing opposite of her. The blonde dropped everything, her cap, her blank piece of paper and ran as fast as she could to fall into Lisa's waiting arms. The girls stood in the back of the field hugging each other for what seemed like hours before Lisa lifted Roseanne's chin for a kiss. "I missed you so much!" Roseanne said tearfully as she nuzzled her face into the crook of the brunette's neck.

           Lia,Irene,Jisoo,Jennie,Ryujin and Yeri all ran and circled the pair. All had smiles similar to Roseanne's coating their faces. "I told you it would work Lisa!" Ryujin said as she playfully pushed Lisa's shoulder. Roseanne's smile was quickly replaced with a look of shock. "You guys knew!" she asked as she revealed her face to the group. Everyone's smiles remained while they nodded. Roseanne burst out into laughter, making the group start laughing too as they all walked off the field together. Lisa and Roseanne,Jisoo and Jennie,Ryujin and Lia all holding hands on the way.

The girls had fun at Roseanne's party. Although Roseanne wasn't present for anything after the first hour. Lisa & her had found a private place in which, well they, I'm not even gonna say what they did. They laid in Roseanne's bed. The blonde fiddled with Lisa's now wavy hair & twirled it around her finger. "I love you Lis." Roseanne whispered into Lisa's skin. Lisa felt Roseanne's breathing get calmer than it was a few minutes ago. "I love you too. Can I tell you something?" she asked. The blonde nodded before adjusting her position to look Lisa in the eye.

           "I'm moving to Texas for college." she said shyly. All of Roseanne's tiredness was pulled out from underneath her being quickly replaced with excitement and love. "You are!!" she yelled excitedly. Lisa nodded with a huge smile on her face as Roseanne brought their lips together. A few months later, the pair rented an apartment that was close to both of their colleges so they could live together. Later on in sophomore year of college Lisa proposed to Roseanne, the two got married 2 years later when they were 22 years old at a small beach, only inviting friends and family but that didn't matter. It matted that they weren't a cross country couple anymore.