+6

During the car ride I had been acting like complete idiot and Ed seemed to love every second of it. Although he finally got smart enough to lock the window so I couldn’t yell out to the people walking the streets of our town.

“Dammit Ed, unlock the window, I wanna yell at these people!” I yelled at him half dancing to the music. “I don’t believe that’s a good idea Char, wouldn’t want you to get public intoxication.” Ed smiled at me, swatting my hand away from the stereo. Tinie Tempah was playing from the speakers and I wanted to have the sound turned up, but Ed being a responsible driver didn’t want any more distractions.

The radio announcer had started talking as soon as the song ended, “Alright guys that was Tinie Tempah. Now let’s try something a little different. I know that this song isn’t exactly upbeat, but here is a song by another artist from around here; the little flame haired mate we like to call Ed Sheeran. Enjoy.”

The first few chords of the song started playing through the speakers; a song I hadn’t heard before. The words hadn’t even started when Ed changed the station. “Let’s not make tonight a downer, okay love?” Ed gave me a reassuring grin, before grabbing my hand and squeezing it. Due to my drunken state I didn’t understand why he wouldn’t let me listen to it. “No Teddy, let’s listen to it. I don’t think I’ve heard that one.”

Ed’s eyes stayed on the road, hand still attached to mine. “Have you listened to the entire album?” He questioned, his words slow. I shook my head, “Well most of it, I haven’t listened to one or two songs.”

He nodded, “I think that you might not want to listen to that now. I don’t want you upset.” A hint of worry laced his words. I nodded, holding his hand a little bit tighter. We continued driving until we got to a restaurant he knew I liked. He cut the engine and for a few moments we sat in silence. “Actually Teddy, can we just go somewhere else? I’m not really sure I want to go in.”

“Where did you have in mind?” He asked before turning the key and starting the car back up. I shrugged my shoulders, “I dunno. What did your mum make for supper yesterday?”

His eyes lit up, “Well, mum isn’t home. My parents are both out of town visiting my godparents this weekend.  So it would be just us.” I nodded to him, indicating that I was okay with it. Ed’s house had been one of my favorite places since my childhood; even after he left I’d still visit his mother whenever I had the chance. Unlike my mother and father who constantly worked and ignored me, due to me being the middle child, the Sheeran’s always gave me a place to feel loved and I was grateful for that.

As we drove to Ed’s house, I stared out the window, watching the blur of lights pass by. “Teddy, I need something. Can we stop somewhere?”

Ed shrugged, “Sure Char, where do you need to go?” I told him where we needed to go, saying I needed to see a friend, but it wasn’t a friend. I needed to visit this friend because part of me wasn’t ready to go back to Ed’s house with Ed. Before when I was there his mother and I would talk outside of the house, in the garden, a place me and Ed never really spent time together in. Sometimes we’d meet at a restaurant or a park, but she knew that going into the house that I had so many memories in would cause me to break down or lead to another hospitalization.

While Ed continued driving, humming along to the songs, I pulled out my phone texting James. Now I know what it seems like, I was going to go and see James for something physical, maybe sex, but that wasn’t what I needed. James and I where through and he knew that. The mistakes I made with him were in the past, now I needed him for something else.

We pulled up to James’ flat, Ed once again killing the engine, reaching over to unbuckle his seatbelt. “Actually Ed, could you just stay here, I need to run in really quick and it would take longer if it wasn’t just me.”

He smiled giving me a nod, buckling his seat belt again. “Be careful,” he said, suspiciously checking out the flat. I smiled a weak smile at him, opening the door and stepping out the car. James’ flat was one of the most unattractive places in our town. The brick building was crumbling; looking like it would almost come down if the wind was strong enough. All of the lights had a yellow color to them; making everything in sight look dirty. I opened the first door to the apartment, rang James’ bell and waited.

“Jesus Christ, who the fuck is ‘ere?” James’ voice shouted through the intercom, words slurred as though he was drunk. I took a deep breath and looked back at Ed’s car; contemplating leaving before I even got in.

My voice was shaky, “It’s me; it’s Charlotte.” As soon as my name left my mouth the buzzer rang, signaling that James let me in. I pulled the heavy door open and made my way towards the stairs. Walking up the flights I thought again about leave, but I had gotten to James’ door before I made that decision.

My meeting with James was quick, half due to me worrying about Ed coming in and half because James had a girl in his room. “Was good ta see you.” James stood at his door, smiling at me like a drunken idiot. “Maybe you could leave ‘im and spend the night wit’ me.” James didn’t know who I was with, I just implied that it was a male friend.

I smiled, shaking my head, “I don’t think that would be a good idea James. This whole thing, you and I, was done long ago.” He chuckled slightly, nodding in agreement. “Besides, you have a girl waiting for you. Don’t leave her waiting.”

James motioned for me to come close to him, giving me a half hug before whispering in my ear, “I’m always ‘ere for ya love, just remember that. Unlike that fuckin’ twat ya had before I’d neva leave ya.” His lips brushed my forehead before pulling away and slowly shutting the door. For a moment I stood there, thinking about what could have been, but was interrupted by a text from Ed asking if I was alright. Instead of texting back I made my way downstairs, getting in the car and signaling for Ed to drive. Ed being Ed I knew he’d have a thousand questions, but because he knew me Ed would never ask a single one.