+17

Ed’s POV

I’d been on tour for the past month, having just finished the Grammy’s and Brit Awards, and it took things back home off my mind. The fears about how things would go once I got back home became worse while I spent my last week in London.

Chelsea and William had stopped talking to me after I left; actually they had stopped talking to everyone and tried to focus on helping Charlotte. Charlotte had gotten out of the hospital a week ago on my birthday. Lewis sent me a picture of her the day she got home. A lopsided smile was plastered on her face as she leaned into James’ body. James had been visiting her a lot since she gotten out unlike me. I’d been touring and didn’t have a normal way to contact Charlotte.

Lewis informed me on everything that happened. Charlotte had to get stitches in her arm from where the cuts were. Everlasting scars in the forms of words would forever be on her body. She had to take medication now for her depression and had to eat in front of Will or Chels at least three times a day every day. From what I was hearing she was getting better and becoming normal without me in her life.

Levi had started hanging around her a lot I guess. The way Lewis made it sound they had a thing. Levi often spent nights with her, took her out to places and would constantly be there with her since she’s gotten home. It hurt me to know that the girl I loved was falling for another guy, to make matters worse this guy was my cousin.

The first thing I wanted to do after unloading my stuff from my car was visit my favorite music shop. I headed in there, grabbing a couple of CD’s by random people I didn’t know before walking up to the counter. On my way up there I was reading the track list to one of the CD’s; a compilation 1970’s singer songwriters. I placed the CD’s on the counter, “I’m going to need the last one to ring it up.” Charlotte’s voice stopped my reading.

I looked up, furrowing my eyebrows at her.  Almost everything looked the same except for one thing, a small piercing on her bottom lip. I must have been staring at her for a long time, because she snapped in my face, “Hello, Ed, can I have that CD?” She smiled at me, a real genuine smile before snatching the CD out of my hand.

“Charlotte,” was all that I could get out of my mouth. She looked puzzled, “Yes, my name is Charlotte, your name is Ed. We’ve been best friends since we were kids.” I stared at her, trying to process the thoughts going through my head, “What the fuck are you staring at Ed?”

She started to become annoyed, “The last time I saw you, you were,” I didn’t know how to finish the sentence. She inhaled slowly, “I know Ed, but I’m better now and it’s my first day back at work so please, don’t.” She started scratching at her wrists, an indicator she wanted to cut, and I stopped her, grabbing her hand away.

She looked down at our hands, biting her lip ring and taking a deep breath. I dropped her hand, scratching the back of my neck awkwardly. “I’m sorry Charlotte. I didn’t mean to touch you. Maybe it’s best if I leave.” I trailed off.

“Do you want to leave?” She questioned causing me to become confused. “Well no,” I started and she cut me off, “Alright then don’t. How about you drive me home?” The quickness of her rebound from hating me to not hating me confused me more but I nodded. She grabbed the CD’s I had and handed them to me, “You can just have them. I’m sure Raphael wouldn’t mind.” Raphael was one of my mates from school; he took over the shop once his parents retired. I watched her as she grabbed her coat, hugging a guy that was in the store before leading me out to my car.

The car ride was extremely awkward for me. Charlotte didn’t say a word; she just played on her phone and played with her lip rip. Every so often she’d catch me looking at her while we were stopped and I’d blush causing her to laugh and mumble something about me being weird. At one point I made a turn, almost hitting a car, “Jesus Christ Ed, where the fuck did you learn to drive?”