+35

Charlotte’s POV

I turned around to find Mike pulling me out of the bar. I was stumbling quite a bit and wasn’t able to see where we were going.

“Rosenberg, stop going so fast. You’re making me feel ill.” The cool April air rushed through my hair, giving me a sensation of freedom. I watched as the people passed all around me, all of their faces blurred into one similar looking person.

I closed my eyes and realized that I was sitting down on the side of the road. I didn’t know where I was. I remembered being at the bar and then, well then everything went blank. I looked to the side of me, finding Mike sitting beside me. “Mike, what are you doing here?” His face was moving back and forth, every feature blurred.

It seemed as though I blanked out again and came to with my head lying on his shoulder. “Mate, I have no idea where I am. We’re on a park bench near the bridge.” He was right, we had moved since the last time I remember, “I’m not sure if she’s alright, she keeps forgetting what’s going on. When I got there she looked like she had about thirteen shot glasses in front of her.”

I started to shiver and realized that it must have been around 11 PM. I could hear music in the distance and see bright lights flashing down a street. “Whe’ave gotta geht Tedds from tha pl-plane station Mike.” My words were slurred, tongue feeling completely numb. I scanned my whole body and it all felt weird, like I wasn’t in my own body. I shivered more, the cold really getting to me. I tried to focus on something else, but it seemed as though time was passing slowly.

Two blurry figures moved towards my body, one being Ed and the other one Stuart. “Stu- I wanna go bactwo tha beds.”

Stuart crouched down next to me, his eyes moving back and forth as they looked into mine. “Listen Cam, how much did you have to drink?” I tried to keep my own head still to focus on his, but it seemed almost impossible. He seemed to fade out and I could no longer see Stuart.

“Stuart! Papa Bear!” I started calling out, my whole body shaking. I couldn’t see anything, I could only see my body and as I looked up I could see a mirror. I was sitting in my bathroom at home, standing in my plaid shorts and a tank top. I looked around at the room and at myself, noticing cut marks along my wrists. As I lifted up my shirt I could see my ribs and although I had a small bump protruding from my stomach. I placed my hand on my stomach, but instantly felt a sharp pain. I leaned over, grabbing onto the bathroom counter to hold me up.

When I stood up I could see a red mark forming on my pants, blood streaking down my legs. I started crying, unable to understand what was going on. Soon I felt the empty feeling I had once felt inside, as though what had once been there was not.

The scene around me started fading and I could now see Stuart’s face fading in. “Charlotte, hey. Can you hear me?”

I looked around, seeing that we were back at Ed’s home in Nashville. Everyone there was huddled around me as I sat on a sofa in the living room. In the corner of my eye I could see Ed’s face, he looked worried, eyes filled with concern. I reached my hand out, running my hand along his scruffy face. He closed his eyes, breathing in slowly. I traced my thumb along the outline of his lips, his lips gently kissing it.

I pulled my hand away from Ed, looking at Mike. I’m not sure why, but I wanted him to sing. I wanted to hear him sing my favorite song of his. “Mike, sing, favorite.” Those were the only words I could manage to get out properly. I’m not sure why, but I leaned over, laying my head on Mike’s leg. Ed nodded at him to go on and he did, clearing his throat.

“I know a man with nothing in his hands, nothing but a rolling stone.” This song was one of my favorites of his. I loved the stories about people who faced fear, pain and sadness but were still strong. No matter their battle scars, whether physical or mental, they still pushed on.