Chapter 28

Matthias POV

“You did?” Katie exclaims with a bright smile.

“Who is the lucky lady? Do we know her?” my mother asks with a smile before lovingly grabbing her husband’s hand.

Everyone stays silent as they wait for my answer. I said nothing yet and they are already assuming my mate is a woman, but I don’t blame them.

“My mate… It’s not a woman,” I hesitate to reveal the truth immediately. I observe my mother’s reaction to the news. It doesn’t seem to bother her. “He’s not a vampire either.”

This time, her smile faltered for a second. “He’s not a vampire. He must be human,” she repeats as everyone’s eyes are on her. “It is alright, it’ll be a simple task to turn him into one of us.”

Directing my gaze to the window, the sun is nowhere to be seen as the clouds covered it entirely. It is time. I can’t avoid it anymore. Before revealing anything else, I grab the cup of cold water in front of me and drink half of it.

“In fact,” I clear my throat. “Everyone here has met him already, about a year ago.”

Although she doesn’t show it, I can see my mother’s gear working at full speed, trying to remember every human we met.

“Stop running around the bush and tell us already!” Katie whines as she can’t sit still in her seat.

“Manners,” our mother scolds her daughter, who regains her poise and elegance. “Your sister is right. Who is he?”

As everyone’s gaze becomes more intense, I prepare myself for the hurricane. It will be like fighting a natural disaster. She won’t budge from her ideals, no matter what.

“It’s Daniel, the Alpha of the Silverback pack,” I finally reveal his identity as I refuse to make eye contact with my mother.

When she says nothing, I make the foolish mistake and meet her gaze. If I could, I would have run away already. I never saw her make an expression as terrifying in my life. Or at least, it was never directed at me.

Suddenly, her aura exploded and filled the restaurant to the brim. I struggle to breathe as cold sweat runs down my forehead. I can’t look away from her, nor can I move even when I hear the humans collapsing behind me. This is a nightmare. Not bringing Daniel with me was the best decision I ever made. If he was here, I’ll be mourning his death already.

“Dear,” my father pulled his wife into an embrace as he whispers into her ear.

I’m overwhelmed by the crushing pressure as oxygen becomes scarcer by the second. Survival is the only thing I can think about. I urge my body to move, so I can try to escape the enclosed area by the window next to me.

“You’re going to kill our precious children. We don’t want that, do we?” he continues to whisper next to her ear as the aura slowly dissipates.

Once I can move, I immediately open the window next to me. I welcome the gush of fresh air flowing into the building. With the window open, the humans will wake up soon. It is best for us to leave before they do. We will have to alter or erase some part of their memories as well.

After a moment, she regained her composure. “You already know what my answer will be. Forget about him and choose any of the candidates I sent you.”

If you wish to read the rest of the chapter, go on TAPAS. There, chapter 34 is already available.

Here's the link.
https://m.tapas.io/KaedeT

Thank you ❤️