Chapter 7

Daniel POV

I didn't come here expecting anything. I wish I could say that, but it is not true. I half expected the vampires to be more physicals than a few glares and bickering. But again, I should not be surprised. Most of them are old enough to be my great-great-great-grandparents. In other words, they are living fossils. And they are behaving like it. Especially with the older generations, some of them still wear those big gowns that you see in historical movies. However, the party seems to be a success for the parents. Looking at the mountain of presents placed at the corner of the living room, the baby is already spoiled at such a young age.

As Claudia is having the time of her life with the baby and her friends, I get to sit in a corner of the room with a glass of red wine while old men and women are glaring at me. It is as if they have never seen a tanned man before. Well, in their entourage, I must be a rare species.

Bored, I finish my fourth glass of wine and decide to stop there for a while. I won't be able to get drunk from only this amount of alcohol because our bodies degrade it way faster than humans, but I still didn't want to smell like one. Instead, I will fill my stomach with some food. Obviously, they don't have elk or any kind of wild meat. They only had chicken and beef. I wouldn't mind a generous serving of steak, but this looked too fancy to my liking. Hesitantly, I put the round piece of meat into my plate along with the chicken and other dishes.

Going back to my seat, I could hear people whispering about my diet. I ignore them and dig into the generous serving of meat in front of me. I cut down a bite-size portion of the beef with my knife before putting it in my mouth. It was tender and juicy, and I can tell that it is an extremely good cut. But it doesn't beat raw elk. As for the chicken, there's nothing exceptional about it. Who eats chicken? It's flavourless raw and cooked. It's as boring as the crowd attending this party.

While enjoying my meal, I observe the crowd once again and spot Matthias. Unlike the time while he was staying in my pack, he is now wearing a dark burgundy suit with an indigo blue tie. He looks a lot more elegant and sophisticated. This style suits him more. He is encircled by a group of young girls. Although he doesn't seem thrilled by it. With all the vampires in this room, there is no way to tell if their real age. Some appear old and while others look young. So, Matthias could be surrounded by a group of young women in appearance only and I wouldn't know. Just look at him. I know that he has at least a few hundred years, but it looks like he just reached thirty years old.

I will never admit it out loud, but he is cute when angry. He looks like a mad kitten. At first, he acts coldly and seems to be always mad, but with time he will warm up to you. It only makes me want to tease him even more. But that is all. Our relationship will not go any farther. Watching him from afar is enough. It will never work even if we wanted to. Our world is too different. Even if we mate, I will die long before him. It will not be fair.

"I see you're enjoying the food at least," Nikolas pop out of nowhere as he takes the empty seat next to me.

"Barely," I chew on my food before swallowing it.

"I see that you took half the chicken for yourself and three filet mignons. Do you know how expensive that is?"

"If you're serving it, you can afford it. Also, being expensive doesn't mean it is good."

"Well, it beats the raw elk."

I glare at the vampire sitting next to me. No, it doesn't. But I don't waste my energy to argue with him. He thinks that I don't know, but I saw him spit out the meat last time. So, I know that no matter what I say, he will refute it.

He talked to me for a few minutes before a guest came to snatch him into a group of old women. If his existence didn't annoy me so much, I would feel sorry for him. I knew the feeling of being surrounded by old ladies that were too curious for their own good.