Chapter 40

Matthias POV

I stare at the closed door as my mother’s words ring into my ears. While I didn’t have high hopes of her accepting Daniel as my mate, a small part of me still wished for it. She’s my mother.

Daniel places his warm hand on my shoulder. He says nothing, and he doesn’t need to. His presence is enough to bring me comfort. I take a deep breath; I muster all my strength to smile but fail miserably.

“Give her time.”

I shake my head. “How many thousand years does she need?”

“Don’t we now have all the time in the world?” he tilts his head to the side.

“How will your family take it?”

“I’ll be present for them until their last breath. But let’s not rush. Day by day, let’s take this slowly.”

“You’re right… You’re right,” I nod while repeating the same words.

“Rest for a bit. I’m going to check on the pack,” he adds as he arranged the paperwork on his desk.

“I can go with you,” I wipe my sweaty hands on my pants. “I’m alright.”

“No, stay.”

I say nothing else and watch him leave the room after kissing my forehead. Alone, I glance outside the window and wait until I see my mate walk out of the house. His confidence never wavered. He’s like a rock everyone can depend on. His sole presence is the foundation of the pack. He’s the Alpha and everyone acknowledges it. He’s at the top, reigning supreme. It may be a position that many covets, but it’s a lonely and treacherous place to be. I need to strengthen myself. I need to become a rock he can also lean on. I refuse to depend on him and slowly erode his freedom straight away.

I show my back to the window and take in a deep breath. I think back at all the events that happened. When the realization hits me, I snort as I smile in defeat. How pathetic can I even be? This relationship affected me deeper than I thought. It feels like my world now revolves around my mate and everything is pushed to the side. Even today, I’m disappointed because she didn’t want to understand my love for Daniel. But I’m also heartbroken after she refused to accept Daniel’s existence in her, our life. After mating Daniel, he clouds all my thoughts.

I fish out my phone in my back pocket and dial Nikolas’ phone number. I patiently waited as I made my way to the chair. I sit down and not long after, my little brother finally picks up.

“What did you do?” Nikolas groaned as soon as our lines were connected.

“Nothing like not being able to keep a secret,” I accuse.

He sighs. “It wasn’t me. I didn’t see mom or talk to her in almost a week.”

I clicked my tongue. “I should have known. Mom reads our dear little sister like an open book.”

“What happened?”

“She barged into our territory without warning. It set everyone on edge. Just the thing I needed,” I complained while leaning my head back as I blankly stare at the ceiling. “Then, she tried to convince me to reject Daniel and left when I refused.”

“That explains why my phone keeps ringing,” Nikolas chuckles.

“Don’t pick it up. If they have anything to say, they can come and tell me,” I grumble. “How did you do it?”

“Mom wasn’t disapproving of Micah as much as she is with Daniel. She’s still unsatisfied with his bloodline, but she’s civil… At least.”

I nibble on my lower lip as I hesitate to clarify my question. How can I reveal it without embarrassing myself too much?

“The bond… How do you do it?”
Nikolas stays silent for a moment. “Craving for your mate’s complete attention, are you?”

“Don’t make it worse,” I grumble unhappily.

“But I’m right,” he answers, as I can imagine the smug smile plastered on his face. “Not only that, you like depending on him. It frees you, doesn’t it? The sex and mind-blowing orgasms are the cherries on top.”

“Shut up. I don’t talk sex with you.”

“Look how much you changed after taking a little blood,” my brother teases as I close my eyes to control my rising anger.

“I’ll beat you up.”

“But you never win, so what’s the point?” he laughs. “You just mated. Everything will be intensified for the first month.”

I run my hand through my hair as I let his answer sink in. This will be hard.

“That reminds me, Micah wants to visit,” Nikolas adds. 

“Really?” I ask as I find it hard to believe.

“Yeah.”

“I’ll talk with Daniel about it.”

“Thanks.”

After putting my phone back into my pants back pocket, I exit Daniel’s office. Closing the door behind me, I make my way through the house to the yard where my mate is. On my way there, I could hear people whispering about my mother’s unannounced visit. There are only complaints.

They weren’t entirely happy about the alliance in the first place. Then, I happened with my mother following around. There were only problems since we collaborated. I don’t blame them for resenting me for it. I wouldn’t be making so much effort either if it wasn’t for my mate. I still need to live here until he retires.

When I reach my mate, who’s supervising a training session, I stand next to him and watch the young recruits spar. I saw Daniel’s training regimen. It is tough and those kids are going to be sore for at least a few weeks.

“Should I apologize to the pack?”

“Why?” my mate asks back while never taking his gaze away from the trainees.

“No one is happy with what happened with my mother.”

“The both of us took it care of. What else is there that needs to be done?”

“Don’t you worry about them trying to overthrow you?”

Daniel crossed his arms before looking at me. “They accepted you as my mate. Therefore, you’re one of us and their Alpha,” he explained before pausing as if intends to make that fact sink in. “As for what happened earlier, both Alphas took care of it. There was no death or injury. We sent her off with a warning. It’s done. And it wasn’t your fault.”

“But the pack is still unhappy.”

“Don’t worry, they’ll come around, and I’ll make it happen.”